We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Interval timeshares to choose - please help!!!

toronto
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Four Interval timeshares to choose - please help!!!

We will put in a request for our timeshare for next summer in Maine. It seems we have to book early for best results. Can you help me put the following 4 places in order of "best to worst" if you know about them? Or any comments about any of them.

Also better location for a week? We really want to have a nice week as we'll be driving from Canada. Thanks!

InnSeasons - Falls at Ogunquit

Samoset Resort, Rockport

Nautical Mile Resort, Wells

Harbor Ridge Resort, Southwest Harbor

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Samoset Resort On The...
1,428 Reviews
Rockport, ME
Wells
Wells
Maine
Harbor Ridge
Harbor Ridge
507 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Interval timeshares to choose - please help!!!

Can offer a few things to think about -- but won't comment on resort specifics -- it's been too long since I actually spent a night at any of them to offer meaningful information.

But, to think about:

-- what kind of vacation are you looking for? Ogunquit and Wells will put you in the south-coastal part of Maine....the most-heavily-developed part of the Maine coast. But it also puts you closest to the sand beaches which tend to give way to more graveley beaches as you move north and east in Maine. Little chance of getting away "by yourself" anywhere on the coast from either of these resports, but, conversely, you'll be closer to places like Ogunquit, Kennebunk, Kennebunkport etc if those places are of interest to you. Also to keep in mind -- both of these resorts are on US Rt 1, the major tourist and commercial route on the soouthern Maine coast for beach traffic, local commercial deliveries etc., so, depending upon when you're there, you're apt to encounter much more traffic than at either of the other two locations. Someone else may correct me, but if memory serves, both of these resorts are former motel properties that were converted to timeshare use.

The Samoset Resort in Rockland is a good spot to use as a "base" for visiting mid-coast Maine destinations like Camden, Rockland and Rockport. You won't find sandy beaches within easy driving range....you're just too far up the coast for that. But you will have access to Camden Hills State Park if you like hiking, Camden Harbor for cruising or just watching the boats and people in the harbor, some amazing restaurants in Rockland and Camden, the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland, day-trip opportunities to off-shore islands via the Maine State Ferry Service, the Owl's Head Transportation Museum, and other mid-coast villages and towns. All of these things are within a hour-or-less drive from your resort. Not as much development here as around Wells and Ogunquit....But the Resort itself is built adjacent to one of Maine's finest 18-hole golf courses and shares ammenities like the swimming pool with the Samoset Resort Hotel. There were disputes between timeshare and hotel folks within the past year over use of some facilities, but I believe those have been resolved. Resort is well off US Rt 1 so no noticeable traffic when you're "on property", and if you're trying to get out and see the area, generally less traffic than in Ogunquit or Wells.

Harbor Ridge will put you immediately adjacent to Acadia National Park -- one of the premiere attractions on the entire Maine Coast.... A Park highlight is Sand Beach -- beautiful beach but frigidly cold water.... Also wonderful access to hiking and biking trails in the park, fantastic scenery on the Park Loop Road, and a wide choice of restaurants within easy driving distance. Although traffic won't be as heavy in Southwest Harbor as in nearby Bar Harbor, the largest community adjacent to the Park, there can be a fair amount of tourist traffic at times, depending upon when you are here. Access to other points along the Maine coast will generally require traveling back to/through Ellsworth, with fairly heavy traffic during the peak of the tourist season. But from there, it's an easy drive to places like Schoodic Point (another less-used, extremely scenic part of Acadia National Park), to the coast community of Blue Hill, or Castine....or other small locations along the coast.

Si, as I said, it depends on what kind of vacation you want --

-- "In the middle of everything" -- take a closer look at Wells or Ogunquit

-- "Quieter activities in the mid-coast area with fantistic scenery right from the resort -- closer look at The Samoset

-- Access to Acadia National Park and all it offers -- Southwest Harbor would be a great choice....

Once you decide which of these kinds of vacation sounds best suited to you, there are folks who can give you more resort specifics than I can. But hopefully this will give you something to think about to get you started.

And, if you haven't already done so (sorry, I haven't checked), you might post the same question on Trip Advisor's Timeshare Forum.... May get responses from people who have actually stayed at more or more of the places you're asking about...

Mentioned in this post
Wells
Wells
Maine
Maine
Maine
United States
Kennebunk
Kennebunk
Kennebunks, ME
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Samoset Resort On The...
1,428 Reviews
Rockport, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Camden Hills State Park
Camden Hills State Park
619 Reviews
Camden, ME
Farnsworth Art Museum
Farnsworth Art Museum
750 Reviews
Rockland, ME
Maine State Ferry Service
Maine State Ferry Service
65 Reviews
Rockland, ME
Harbor Ridge
Harbor Ridge
507 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Sand Beach
Sand Beach
695 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Park Loop Road
Park Loop Road
1,307 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Ellsworth
Ellsworth
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
Schoodic Point
Schoodic Point
400 Reviews
Winter Harbor, ME
toronto
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Interval timeshares to choose - please help!!!

Thank you for your very thoughtful response. It's much appreciated. We have to complete our week by September 12th...will we notice a huge difference in crowds if we go the first week in Sept. versus July or August?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Interval timeshares to choose - please help!!!

"Huge" difference, probably not.... "Some" difference, quite likely....

Most families visiting the Maine coast (or anywhere else in the state) tend to "head home" just before or around our Labor Day Holiday weekend because the kids have to be back in school. And the folks who come to see the Fall Foliage aren''t here yet because foliage season doesn't typically begin until late September.

If you come the first week in Setpember, you'll hit the slight lull that happens most years between the summer vacation visitors and the fall foliage visitors -- kind of a chance-to-catch-your-breath for the hotel/motel, restaurant and cruise folks. They're all still open and going strong because they want the business boost the foliage folks can bring, but generally are slightly less busy the first and second weeks in September than just before or just after that...

Should be a great time to visit Maine!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
4. Re: Four Interval timeshares to choose - please help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Rockport