We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockport, ME

Glen Rock, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rockport, ME

We are visiting Rockport, ME 07/31/12 - 08/04/12. Looking for things to do with our kids ages 15, 12 and 7. Any suggestions??????? Any good eats as well would be helpful!

10 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rockport, ME

Do you have a guidebook? I was in that area last month. Have you heard of the Owl's Head Transportation Museum? The Owl's Head Lighthouse? Camden Hills State Park? The Farnsworth Museum?

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rockport, ME

It would be helpful if we know your interests. Rockport is a smaller community that is sandwiched between Rockland & Camden. Some of the major highlights in the area -

* Fansworth Art Museum - Rockland

* Owls Head Transportation Museum

* Owls Head light house

* Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse

* Project Puffin - Interactive & Educational center about Puffins & Maine Seabirds.

* Camden Hills State Park

* Drive up Mount Battie in Camden Hills State Park for views of the region.

* Take a cruise in a Schooner in Camden Harbor

There are many lighthouses in the area and you could get more information by visiting the Visitor Center / Lighthouse museum in Rockland town center.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 15:33
Glen Rock, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rockport, ME

I do have a guide book. Looking for some "insider" information! The transportation Museum looks like fun! Not sure if I want to do the lighthouse. We are also visiting NH on this trip and have a trip to a lighthouse planned. I don't think I want to walk up all those stairs twice he he.

Thanks so much for your tips!

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rockport, ME

Just curious, What lighthouse in NH?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rockport, ME

Not to worry about "climbing stairs twice" - last I knew, only the grounds of the Owl's Head Lighthouse were open to the public -- the building(s) and lighthouse tower are not open -- or at least they weren't the last I knew...

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rockport, ME

This sporting goods store in Rockport offers outdoor adventures of various ability levels:

http://www.mainesport.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rockport, ME

Mainer -

I visited Owls Head lighthouse during the Memorial Weekend and lighthouse was open & I was able to climb up the lighthouse tower.

I am not sure of schedule, but I guess it is open on holidays & maybe few days a week including weekends.

Rockport, Maine
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Rockport, ME

depends on what you want I like the walk on the breakwater in rockland it's fun and free.

East Hampton...
Level Contributor
199 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rockport, ME

Here is a suggestion, especially for your 7 year old. Find the book about Andre the Seal at your local library or on Amazon. It is a lovely, age appropriate story and then visit his stautue in Rockport Harbor on your vacation.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rockport, ME

Relax by Travel -- RE Post # 7 above.... thanks for correcting me -- nice to know....

Reply to: Rockport, ME
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rockport