We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants near Rockwood Maine

NJ
Level Contributor
56 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
restaurants near Rockwood Maine

Hello,

My family of 4 will be renting a home in Rockwood Maine and would like to know if there are any good restaurants within driving distance. I imagine we would need to go to Greenville? If so, can you tell me some good restaurants in Greenville?

Also, are there any must see items besides the things we are planning which are swimming, hiking, fishing, and of course looking for Moose? We heard to go looking for Moose at night with a flashlight, Is this correct?

Thank you,

Mary

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants near Rockwood Maine

I had visitors recently that raved about the Black Frog in Greenville. See http://www.theblackfrog.com

If you drive over to Jackman, check out the Moose Point Tavern. http://www.moosepointtavern.com/

About moose, you really need to be on the lookout at all times for moose on the roadway especially if you are driving early in the morning, in the early evening or after dark. They are huge, dark, hard to see until you are up on them, and they tend to not move out of the way quickly.

You might stop in the store in "downtown" Rockwood and ask for pointers on where to find moose. There are probably some ponds or bogs in the area that are popular moose haunts and the locals will likely share valuable information with you. Not sure about using the flashlight....except maybe for your own footing if you are walking around before dawn/after sunset. Don't get too close to them if you see one. They are wild unpredictable, animals.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants near Rockwood Maine

Forgot to mention Mt. Kinneo. You can catch a boat from Rockwood to go sightseeing on Kinneo. Ask for info when you get to Rockwood. Might be able to rent bikes to take over there, play golf, etc.

Also, there are a lot of "outings" offered by The Birches Resort. Might want to check out their site for ideas. See http://www.birches.com/

NJ
Level Contributor
56 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants near Rockwood Maine

Hi Michele,

Thank you for the information. The Moose Point Tavern tooks great. How far would Jackman be from Rockwood? We are leaving this Saturday and very much looking forward to the trip and some beautiful scenery. We are staying at a private home rented by the Birches so I'm sure we will take an excursion with them as well. The golfing on Mt. Kinneo sounds wonderful. We wanted to play golf at least once while we were away and that sounds like a great experience. We are packing our bikes to bring so maybe we will bring them to Mt. Kinneo as well.

Thanks again!

Mary

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants near Rockwood Maine

Go to Mapquest.com for route, time and driving directions. That stretch of road is called "Moose Alley" so keep your eyes open, ESPECIALLY if driving it after dark. The closest I've come to hitting a moose was on that road.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurants near Rockwood Maine

If you get bored in Rockwood and want to venture out, think of going NORTH not south. You are only three hours from Quebec City (plus whatever time it takes you to clear the border), which you access by going thru Jackman. Would be tough for a day trip, but fun for an overnighter.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
943 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurants near Rockwood Maine

Its been about three years since our trip to the Moosehead region but here are a couple of restaurants that we enjoyed.

Right in Rockwood, try the restaurant at The Birches Resort. Very rustic but very nice atmosphere and good food. We drove from Greenville to Rockwood to eat there.

I will preface this with a warning. The road from Rockwood to Greenville may well have been the most desolate stretch of road I've ever been on particularly after dark. And this road is a "highway". So be very careful and watch for moose in the road. They are so big, you may think it is impossible to miss them but there is something about them. They don't reflect light and therefore as difficult to see until it is almost too late.

As you approach Greenville (on the outskirts so to speak!) is Greenville Junction. There is a restaurant there called Kelly's Landing which is nice. You can sit outside on the deck for dinner and watch the boats on the lake and, if you are lucky like we were, listen to the call of the loons on the lake.

In the town of Greenville, Black Frog is also pretty nice. We had lunch there a couple of times during our stay.

If you have time take a ride through Greenville to the other side of the lake and visit Lily Bay State Park and drive up to Kokadjo if only to see the welcome sign which reads "Welcome to Kokadjo - Population - Not Many".

Hope this helps.

7. Re: restaurants near Rockwood Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Rockwood