We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wk of august 6-12

charlottesville
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
wk of august 6-12

thinking about staying here with my wife and kids ages 11 and 13. is there enough to do on this island? what are the flies like here on the island?

4 replies to this topic
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wk of august 6-12

Well, I may be too late for you, but wanted to respond. Perhaps I am partial to Frye Island, because I own a cottage here. If you appreciate nature, a beautiful lake, walking, biking, golf, cooking out every night and grabbing ice cream at the general store every night, then you will love this place. Its a unique community that is very family friendly. If you and your kids require night life, then this is not the place for you.

As for flies, this time of year they are not bad at all. Obviously at night you may want to bug spray to avoid mosquitos, but not more than anywhere else.

Good luck. I can answer any other questions you may have about the island if you contact me directly at managingperformance@yahoo.com

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wk of august 6-12

JLubas -- It's nice that you're trying to be helpfu....but before you publicly post your own e-mail in a Trip Advisor Forum again, you might want to consider the following guidance from the TA Guidelines for Forum Posts --

"Note: If you include your own personal information in a forum post, it will be viewed and potentially used by any and all who see it... including people you'd probably rather not hear from. "

Trip Advisor does offer a great way for users to contact one another directly -- If you click on the name of the person you're trying to help (under the avatar beside their original post), it will take you to a profile page, where one of the options is "Send a Personal Message".... opening that screen will allow you to send a note to that individual just as you would with an e-mail, without exposing your e-mail to "the whole wide world."

When that person answers your Personal Message, when you log onto Trip Advisor, you'll see a "Personal Message" prompt at the top of the page (in the same line as the "Sign Out" option. Clicking on the Personal Message prompt will allow you to view the response. It's a nice way for TA users to message one another individually without giving out personal e-mails...

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wk of august 6-12

I would echo MainerOnTheGo's advice and go one further: Delete your post and re-post without the personal info.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wk of august 6-12

I have lots of questions. Hope you can help. We are renting a cottage July 5th , first timers. Is there a supermarket on island or should we bring groceries.? Is there a bike rental, kayak rental place on island? Is there only one restaurant? Do we arrange for the ferry ahead of time or just show up? Is it a big deal or big expense to go back and forth via ferry? Thanks for any help given. We wanted to try something new. We have a dog so our rentals options are limited and this sounds like a great place to go with a dog.

Reply to: wk of august 6-12
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Frye Island