We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need recommendations for lodging near Portland

Which South Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gulf Breeze, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need recommendations for lodging near Portland

We will be driving from Boston in Oct. and we thought we would stay in the Portland area our 1st night, we are staying at The Inn at Ocean's Edge in Camden, ME our 2nd night and we are staying at The Beach House, Kennebunkport, ME our 3rd and final night. So we would like recommendations where between Boston and Camden we should stay on our 1st night. Thanks for the help.

Maine
Level Contributor
801 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need recommendations for lodging near Portland

Kind of leaves it wide open. Do you want to stay in-town? What's your price range? Check Portland Harbor House for Old Port lodging or the Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth for beachfront. Shoppers? Maybe you want to stay at the Harrasekett Inn in Freeport - an outlet store mecca.

Gulf Breeze, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need recommendations for lodging near Portland

Thanks for responding - Sorry it is wide open because we have never been to Maine and are probably trying to cover too much area in a short time - we are celebrating our 25th anniversary - I will check those out - we just want to see the sites - we have heard how beautiful it is and then we were told we should not miss Portland either - Thanks again

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need recommendations for lodging near Portland

Since you want to experience Portland, I recommend staying in the Old Port. Although the Regency comes up first in the popularity search, it has mixed reviews. Others to consider would be the Portland Harbor or the Hilton Garden Inn (intown, not the airport). Read the reviews and choose! The Holiday Inn is also in a good spot, but is not an outstanding place to stay.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need recommendations for lodging near Portland

I have stayed at the Sheraton. It's by the mall. It's very nice but pricey. If you looking for something just ok, check out the I think it's called Comfort Inn, or Days Inn, can't remember which. It is also by the the Maine Mall. The parking lot connects to Chiles restraunt. We stayed there a couple years ago for a few nights-we just slept there and went sightseeing all day so we didn't spend much time in the room. But if your wanting something nicer I would choose the Sheraton.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need recommendations for lodging near Portland

Hi reelthing,

I'd suggest staying right in the Old Port in Portland and then you can walkt to all the shops, restaurants, art museum, or the ferry to tour Casco Bay. I've never stayed overnight right in downtown Portland, so can't recommend a hotel.

The other alternative, which another poster recommended was staying at Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth. This is just 10 minutes south of downtown Portland. I have stayed at Inn by the Sea and absolutely loved it. It's relatively new, right on the beach (though the actual beach is a 5 minute stroll on a boardwalk), has a wonderful restaurant right there and is a 5 minute drive to Portland Headlight and the Two Lights Lobster Shack.

In any case, have a wonderful time and don't forget post back and let us know how things went :).

cozyharbor

Gulf Breeze, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need recommendations for lodging near Portland

Thanks for all your suggestions - I will check them out and I will let you know in Oct. all about our trip. Thanks again. Have a great weekend.

kennebunkport, maine
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need recommendations for lodging near Portland

if you decide to stay in the old port, portland, a special place to eat would be the fore street restaurant. it is right behind the hilton which is on commercial street, a great location. the restaurant is actually on fore street, right behind the hotel, and connected to the restaurant, but on the lower level, on commercial street, is the restaurant's bakery, which is fabulous. you can enter it from the parking lot of the hilton.

Gulf Breeze, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need recommendations for lodging near Portland

I just wanted everyone that recommend places to eat, stay, go, etc. to us that we had a great trip to Maine!!

The 1st day we ate at Portland Lobster Co. for lunch, then David's for dinner and we stayed at the Portland Harbor Inn. They were all great. The next day we drove to Camden Maine. On the way we ate lunch Red's Eats in Wiscasset, ME - Too bad it was raining very hard so we ate in our car - would have loved to sit on their deck by the water - but the food was great anyway - I especially loved the "Dough Boy". Then we checked in The Inn at Ocean's Edge in Camden. It was our favorite place to stay. That day we shopped in Camden and had a late afternoon snack at Cappy's. Best blueberry pie we had!! Loved the park and harbour. That night it was still raining so we ate at the resturant at The Inn called the Edge. It was also good. More gourmet lobster than the others. The next day we drove to Kennebunkport - we stayed at The Beach House. On the way to Kennebunkport we stop at Camden Hills State Park - Mount Battie - what a view from the top!! then we stopped at the Maine State Prison shop - amazing what they do. We also stopped at pottery shops and art galleries all a long the route. We went to a craft fair at a church in York, ME - we covered a lot of ME that day - loved talking to the local crafters - bought some seaglass jewelry!! That night we ate at Mabel's Lobster Claw. We took lots of walks and lots of pictures. Thanks again for all your help. It was a great trip!!!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need recommendations for lodging near Portland

Thanks for the report! What did you think of Mabel's Lobster Claw?

Gulf Breeze, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Need recommendations for lodging near Portland

We enjoyed it - met some locals - enjoyed talking to them - wish we had gotten their names - foods was good - just a very long wait - wish we had made reservations -

Get answers to your questions about South Portland