We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

new york
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurants

Hi,

We am traveling to Arcadia in early June with four twenty + children. We are staying near Southwest Harbor. Any recommendations for good restaurants? (Anyplace on the island). We like ALL types of food. I'd like recommendations for any casual, fun restaurants. (Because there are 6 of us hearty eaters I would love recommendations from inexpensive to one or two nice meals.) Please let me know if any reservations should be made in advance.

We also intend to cook, so any butcher/supermarket recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks,

Poppyny

Mentioned in this post
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
New Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

Here's three:

--Fiddler's Green in Southwest Harbor (reservations recommended, this is a good "nice meal" place without being too stuffy);

--Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard for the best dining of that particular kind (pricier than you might expect but it's an authentic place...crack open a 2-pounder, get your hands dirty, drink a 16-ounce Bar Harbor Real Ale on tap, and top it off with piece of awesome blueberry cake).

--Lompoc Cafe in Bar Harbor, very casual and reasonably priced, with a bocce court on premises for your before- during- or after-dinner entertainment.

Mentioned in this post
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Thurston's Lobster Pound
Thurston's Lobster Pound
1,304 Reviews
Bernard, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Lompoc Cafe
Lompoc Cafe
202 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

Hello. Sawyer's Market in SWH has great produce, a deli and lots of good stuff. There is also a supermarket, Southwest Food Mart on the hill as you head out of town.

In addition to the restaurants mentioned, we like Sips in SWH, Havana in Bar Harbor and Cleonice in Ellsworth. The seafood casserole at the Seafood Ketch in Bass Harbor (across the harbor from Thurston's in Bernard) is a favorite. Nemo's and Mainely Delights can be fun, too. We usually make reservations when we go just so we don't have to wait. It might be helpful with six - you would probably be served more efficiently.

Hope that you enjoy your stay in Acadia.

Mentioned in this post
Sips
Sips
607 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Ellsworth
Ellsworth
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
Seafood Ketch
Seafood Ketch
425 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
970 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

We'll no doubt be there the same time in early June. This will be out 10th year of visiting Acadia.

For a nice place in Southwest Harbor, there is Red Sky - excellent food, casual atmosphere, nice casual dress.

There is quirky place there that we love for breakfast or lunch. It is called Eat-a-Pita. Hopefully it will still be there this year as its been for sale for the past two years. In the meantime, it has continued to be open.

If you travel a bit to the other side of the island there is Town Hill Bistro in Town Hill. You will probably pass through Town Hill as you head toward SWH after crossing Trenton Bridge on to the island. It is another casual atmosphere place with great food.

I am more familiar with Bar Harbor. Depending what you like... there is a Mexican restaurant on Cottage Street called Poncho Villa's - good food and inexpensive. If you like Thai cuisine, Siam Orchid on Roddick Street also has great food and is inexpensive. If you're up for pub food, try Geddy's on Maine Street in Bar Harbor. Poor Boys on Main Street is also good and they got some early bird specials that are very reasonable. And great desserts.

Hopefully that's a start/

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Red Sky
Red Sky
493 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

I second paflyfishers suggestion of Poor Boy's. There are lots of items on the menu to choose from and the price is more reasonable for a party of 6 than some of the other restaurants mentioned. Also, she has large serving sizes for hearty eaters and awesome desserts.

Thurston's Lobster Pound is also a great suggestion but make sure everyone in your party wants lobster. There's not much else on the menu besides a cup of chili or a hotdog. The views are fantastic and the lobster's as fresh as you can get.

For lunch, try the Thirsty Whale in Bar Harbor - good pub style food and reasonable prices.

For a super casual non-seafood dinner, you could try Rosalie's Pizza in Bar Harbor. Great pizza and fun atmosphere.

For your more formal dinner, I would stick with Red Sky in Southwest Harbor so you don't spend all your evenings driving back and forth from Southwest to Bar Harbor (although it's not that long of a trip).

There's a small Hannaford grocery store in Bar Harbor and a small grocery store on the way into Southwest Harbor. You should be able to pick up the basics at either of these stores. For larger stores, stop at the Hannaford or Shaw's in Ellsworth on your way into town. There's a specialty grocery store called John Edwards in Ellsworth as well.

Mentioned in this post
Thurston's Lobster Pound
Thurston's Lobster Pound
1,304 Reviews
Bernard, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Rosalie's Pizza
Rosalie's Pizza
1,052 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Red Sky
Red Sky
493 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Ellsworth
Ellsworth
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

Not to worry. This is the link to the menu at Thurston's. <http://thurstonslobster.com/menu.htm> There should be something for everyone in your group, lobster lovers or not.

6. Re: Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 05:27
Get answers to your questions about Southwest Harbor