We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to southwest Harbor easter 2011

Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
379 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Heading to southwest Harbor easter 2011

Heading up to Southwest Harbor Maine, never been, Been to Bar Harbor and Acadia so were are somwhat farmilliar witht he area. What are some must do's in the area? Is Cranberry Island worth a trip? We will definatly be at Acadia a few days and in Bar Harbor as well. Anything to do on not so nice days?

Wonderland Trail
Hiking Trails, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Charlotte Rhoades Garden and Butterfly Park
Parks, Gardens, Bodies of Water, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Playgrounds
4 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading to southwest Harbor easter 2011

At this time of year, you can take the mail boat to Cranberry Island but I don't think much will be open over there. I'm not sure it's worth the trip. Maybe someone else will chime in.

The Park Loop Road should be open by then so you can drive the loop and do some walking/hiking on the hiking trails or carriage roads. The carriage roads may or may not be open. They usually close them some time around there for them to dry out. Just depends.

Some nice hikes over in the Southwest Harbor area include Flying Mountain, Acadia Mountain, Wonderland Trail and Ship Harbor Trail down near Bass Harbor and a visit to the lighthouse in Bass Harbor.

Good restaurants in Southwest Harbor include Red Sky and Sips.

Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
379 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to southwest Harbor easter 2011

Thanks for your response! We plan on doing a day trip to the blue hill area. The trails you mentioned we never been on which will be nice to see. We never been to the southwest side of Acadia. Any good lobster shacks where its no frills just order lobster and crack on a picnic table?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,580 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading to southwest Harbor easter 2011

Most everyone's favorite is Thurston's:

http://www.thurstonslobster.com/

I especially like the sink in the corner of the downstairs dining room where you can wash your buttery fingers. Sometimes there is a line !

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading to southwest Harbor easter 2011

There are places to get lobster (most restaurants, in fact) but you may be rushing the season a bit on the classic lobster pounds. Most tend to open about mid-May. I just checked the Thurston's web site and don't see anything about when they open for 2011.

Edited: 04 April 2011, 02:35
Reply to: Heading to southwest Harbor easter 2011
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southwest Harbor