We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest Harbor in January for a peaceful, serene getaway??

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
17 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest Harbor in January for a peaceful, serene getaway??

Hi! I'm looking for a peaceful getaway in mid January and was thinking of Southwest Harbor, Maine for a few reasons: I want to hike around Acadia (I'm a skier so love the outdoors in the winter), have some peace and quiet, maybe do horseback riding or snowmobiling but really just relax and do nothing much. The other place I am considering is Island Falls, ME. Any thoughts???

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest Harbor in January for a peaceful, serene getaway??

Some of where you go might well depend on where you can find a place to stay. Most everything in Southwest Harbor is closed for the season.

But Acadia can certainly be beautiful in January. Some of the carriage roads are groomed for cross-country skiing. Much of the hiking, though, might be a bit icy. Any place in Maine in January is going to be filled with peace and quiet. Just be sure you have a place to lay your head and fill your stomach.

In Bar Harbor there are a few restaurants open on weekends and a few places to stay: B&Bs open include Aysgarth Station and Saltair. More of a motel: Quimby House.

Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest Harbor in January for a peaceful, serene getaway??

The Southwest Harbor-Tremont Chamber of Commerce will have local information about dining and lodging options (acadiachamber.com). It is very quiet on the 'quietside' this time of year. Hiking, cross-country skiing, skating and snowshoeing are popular but there will be variations on the theme - wonderful skating but too icy to hike, etc. It is a great area for winter sports. Enjoy your vacation.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest Harbor in January for a peaceful, serene getaway??

Clark Point Inn, in Southwest Harbor, is open in the winter:

http://www.clarkpointinn.com/

Sadly, Red Sky, also in Southwest Harbor (and where we just had a wonderful meal this evening) is not open in January.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest Harbor in January for a peaceful, serene getaway??

HI ginamarie005. I posted a reply on your thread in the NYC forums:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4940026…

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
17 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest Harbor in January for a peaceful, serene getaway??

Thanks for your feedback. I'm staying at Harbor Ridge with my timeshare 1/15-1/22 and so looking forward to tooling around and doing not much!

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
17 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwest Harbor in January for a peaceful, serene getaway??

I'm an avid skier, but I don't see any resorts near by. Maybe I'll just go snow mobiling and hiking if weather permits.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southwest Harbor in January for a peaceful, serene getaway??

If you are talking about cross-country skiing, several of the carriage roads in Acadia National Park are groomed for XC skiing. See, e.g.,

nps.gov/acad/…winteractivities.htm

8. Re: Southwest Harbor in January for a peaceful, serene getaway??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2017, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Southwest Harbor