We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to York

West Bend WI
11 posts
Save Topic
Boston to York

Looking to travel from Boston to York on a Sunday (8/3/08). How long will this take? Thinking about staying at the York's BestWestern Inn. I know it's not right on the beach but seems like it would be a short drive to the beach. I'm assumming that if we got to the beach early, parking wouldn't be a problem. Would also like to do whale watching and eat lots and lots of lobster. Lots of BRATS (the sausage, not the kids) in Wisconsin but no seafood!!!Suggestions?

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to York

Hi jdspaeth,

Depending on the day of the week and/or time of day(you DO NOT want to drive out of Boston's Logan Airport between about 4 and 6pm, especially on a Friday, as the traffic can be horrendous)it should only take you roughly about an hour or maybe a bit more if traffic, and you stick to the speed limit :). As for dining suggestions, I'm not really familiar with York so hopefully others will respond.

Good luck with your trip and don't forget to post back so others will have a window into your experience and can plan too!

cozyharbor

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to York

I am not a fan of the Best Western York Inn because of the location. It's apparently been recently remodeled, but in spite of the remodeling, it's still located in an area that is light industrial and not anywhere near the beach or scenery. See this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g40989-i2188-k1223…

If I were advising family or friends, I'd nudge them to keep looking. Look in York Beach, York Harbor or even up the road in Ogunquit or Wells.

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to York

What's the price at the BW? You can probably do better for the money. The drive on a Sunday should take about 90 minutes tops.

West Bend WI
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to York

Changed our plans. Are now staying at the Clarion in Hull. A friend of ours stayed there and said it was nice. Corporate rate was $129.00 per night. We are thinking about visiting Gloucester MA for whale watching. I think it's about a hour drive from Boston or we can take the train. I'd like to see some of the coast so I think driving might be a good idea?????

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to York

Hi jds,

In your later post, were you talking about staying in Hull, MA? Why?

I used to live in a neighboring town and and if you're looking for old, quaint and charming I really wouldn't spend time there (now Hingham, Cohassett and Scituate might be worth it though they're predominantly residential).

Better to spend a night (if that's all you have) in Cape Ann where there's lots of beautiful scenery, beaches, lovely anitique homes, shops, art galleries, etc.

From Boston you could drive along the North Shore (route 1 and 1A if I remember correctly but check a map) through the towns of Salem, Marblehead, Manchester by the Sea, Essex, Rockport and Gloucester. Every single one of those towns offer charm, history, lovely scenic drives and/or beaches, etc.

Google Cape Ann, MA visitors guide or Chamber of Commerce and a wealth of info will pop up.

Good luck!

cozyharbor

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to York

I do not think Hull, MA is the right choice for you. You were tending to go to Old Orchard Beach, Hampton Beach or York Beach, Maine but now you are deciding on Hull, MA. Hull, back over 30 years ago, had an amusement park and lots of hustle and bustle but those days have gone. Hull is pretty much a residential area, with a nice local beach but it is not really a vacation spot. Are you looking to get away from it all or are you looking for more activities for your teens?

Although, Hull is lovely, it does not really fit into what you have been inquiring in your earlier posts. Maybe an alternative to the more teen oriented beach and the quiet scene, you would have in Hull, not much further from York would be Ogunquit, Maine. It is beautiful, the beaches are nice , there are lots of restaurants and more of a vacation destination but not so teen arcade type area as Hampton and Old Orchard. Ogunquit, Maine is about a 90 minute drive from Boston. You can still visit Hampton and York since they are not that far from Ogunquit.

If you do the Cape Anne suggestion which is a bout 45 minutes Northeast of Boston, Rockport, MA is beautiful but maybe too quiet for your teens. Salem has a lot of history including The House of Seven Gables , the Witch Museum type activities and has an arcade area at Salem Willows but the beach is not that nice.

You could stay in Gloucester, nicer beaches and travel to both Salem and Rockport.

Then the final suggestion would be to go South from Boston to Cape Cod. But regardless of the other suggestions, I do not think Hull would be a good choice for you.

West Bend WI
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston to York

Thanks for your help!!!

8. Re: Boston to York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 02:20