We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How are things looking after the Flood

Which York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
How are things looking after the Flood

Just wondering how places faired. I know you had some bad flooding over that few days. I was planning a trip up that way in couple of weeks and was wondering what to expect.

Also is there anything anyone can to help out?

london
Level Contributor
51 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How are things looking after the Flood

Anyone?!

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How are things looking after the Flood

This was the subject of the front page story in today's newspaper (Portland Press Herald). I live just north of Portland and we didn't receive the flooding here that they did in York County, but this is what I read today:

The flood waters have receded; York Beach etc is no longer under water nor has it been for several days. Many, many people in those communities have risen to the occasion to help the businesses, and all of the businesses felt they would be able to open for the season over the Memorial Day weekend.

To put things in perspective, many homes (especially a bit inland on the New Hampshire border, along certain rivers) had bad water damage, but no one washed away. The newspaper reports that flood damage in all of Maine has reached $7 million. While this is not exactly chump-change, it's not New Orleans either. The businesses' biggest complaint? That CNN,FOX, and all the other news organizations were there (particularly in York) showing the same footage every day from what happened on the first day. The businesses say they will be open; they are afraid that thanks to the national media, no one will show.

3. Re: How are things looking after the Flood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 09:20