We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobster this summer

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
85 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Lobster this summer

HI! I was curious what the current prices are for lobster this year? Last year the prices were so very reasonable, but I've heard they went up this year. I want to know at restaurant, as well as to buy and cook myself. I'll be up in a few weeks.

Thanks!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lobster this summer

"In a few weeks" means that prices may be different. Right now one pound soft-shell lobsters range from $3.99/lb. to $4.99/lb. depending on where you buy them. That is for cooking them yourself. Restaurant prices are all over the map.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lobster this summer

Right now they're bout the same as last yeah, ayuh.

Edited: 10 July 2012, 03:50
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,715 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lobster this summer

Not sure when you were here last year or what you paid them....... but for the past several days or maybe a week, lobster prices have been approaching an all-time low.... to the point many lobster fishermen are telling media and officials that they are no longer covering their operating costs to go pull their traps. Great news for the consumer, but not great for the industry.... As CB says, $3.99 to $4.99 per pound (uncooked) seems to be the going rate today -- emphasis on today. Restaurant prices depend on the establishment.... But remember, lobster prices can be extremely volatile and "in a few weeks" they may well have gone back up again.... Certainly would't place any bets that they'll still be the same then as they are now....

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
85 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lobster this summer

thanks, guys! That was about what we paid last year. Yes, great for the consumer, but not so good for the industry I'm sure! The prices on some of the restaurant websites have been high, so that;s why I asked - I'll be happy when we get up there, no matter what the prices are! We love to go down to Newicks at least once, and will cook a bunch at the house as well.

thanks again!

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lobster this summer

Bump... How does it look now?

What people were saying in this thread a couple of weeks ago has been all over the news here in Boston. I've found chicken lobsters at $3.99/lb. at Market Basket, and $4.99 at Shaw's (live or steamed) here. A dollar more for the bigger ones. The news says chicken lobsters have been $2.00 in Maine. Is this true? If so, I'll save up (space and money) for my upcoming holiday! But that may be what the lobstermen are getting?

I was going to start a thread about this on the Downeast board, but found this for York. But my question still is about all the way down the coast. Thank you.

Intervale, NH
Level Contributor
37 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lobster this summer

The lobstermen are getting $2-$2.50 a lb. for their catch. Many restaurants are still charging "Market Price" which means dinners are going for $20 and up and lobster rolls for $15 and up. Try to find some lobster shacks where they cook them up and you sit at picnic tables outside mostly but some do have indoor seating. The fancier the higher. We went to Harpswell last week and felt Cook's on Bailey's Island and Estes were way overpriced.

Try Erica's instead.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lobster this summer

Anything you're seeing with a price of $2.00 or less is boat price - the price paid to the lobstermen. There were unofficial tie-ups to try to raise the boat price. However, I'm not seeing a huge difference at the fish markets/lobster pounds from the prices in the $3.99 - $4.99 range.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lobster this summer

Thank you, MeaganLeigh and CB48. I'm happy to get them at the grocery store.

One additional thing I forgot: Nearly all the lobsters I've gotten this year have bands on their claws that say, "Product of Canada | Produit du Canada".

Intervale, NH
Level Contributor
37 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lobster this summer

The lobster season in Canada ended on June 30. The lobstermen had to have all their traps out of the water by that date. Most of their catch were hard shell lobsters although the soft-shell (molting) season started much earlier this year due to the warmer temperatures. I am not sure where you are getting lobsters that have bands that state Product of Canada. Another problem Maine lobstermen are having is that the Canadian season was so abundant the Canadian processing plants that can lobster meat were not accepting lobsters from the U.S. Tough season for the lobstermen because fuel prices and bait and other supplies have not gone down and some are choosing not to go out and fish at a loss.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lobster this summer

Thank you again.

When the prices first came down to what I'll buy this year, all the lobsters I got were from Canada. As I said, Shaw's and Market Basket. And lobster rolls at Shaw's are still $6.99. (Insert smiley!) I just wondered, matching what I'm hearing and what I'm seeing, is the cause that Canadian lobsters were flooding the market? What you describe seems to say so.

Sorry, way OT, but why do lobstermen have to quit at the end of June?

Edited: 25 July 2012, 02:00
Get answers to your questions about York Beach
More York Beach Topics