We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage Inn ~ What's the story?

New England
Level Contributor
145 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Anchorage Inn ~ What's the story?

The reviews here are mostly terrible, but we were recommended to the place & booked rooms for this summer. The website looks great & the people who took reservations were very nice. Does anyone live in the area that could share? Is this place clean? We're taking a senior, teenagers & some mid-lifers for a much needed reunion. Any insight is welcome. Thanks.

pleasanton
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchorage Inn ~ What's the story?

write me at grads74@webtv.net

We will fill you in !

The reviews here are mostly terrible, but we were recommended to the place & booked rooms for this summer. The website looks great & the people who took reservations were very nice. Does anyone live in the area that could share? Is this place clean? We're taking a senior, teenagers & some mid-lifers for a much needed reunion. Any insight is welcome. Thanks.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchorage Inn ~ What's the story?

I don’t know why the reviews are all bad. My mother and I travel to Maine every fall and stay the Anchorage Inn. I’ve never had a problem. Maybe it’s because I know what to expect before I get there. First off if you get a room in the front, long the road, they are old and small. Let just say that you will need to come out of the bathroom to change you mind. The rooms in the front could use some updating. There are three floors with each room facing the ocean on a shared overlook porch. And should you get an upper floor excess is by stair only. Now if you want a little classer you ask for a room in their back building with an ocean view. These are newer rooms and they have private balcony which over look the ocean and give you views of the light house. This back building has an elevator and a pool in the middle of the building which is four feet deep always the across.

I think you like your stay. The place has always been clean if a little bit shabby. The people are always very friendly and helpful who work there. Both pools are nice. And you can’t beat the location to the beach. I think you’ll be quite happy staying there.

New England
Level Contributor
145 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anchorage Inn ~ What's the story?

vtmom13, Thanks for the description. We've booked my Mom in a handicapped-equiped room on the 2nd floor of the Atrium with other family. One family has a room on the 1st floor Atrium with limited ocean view (not sure if exactly where that is, but thought a 1st floor resting place could be nice). Are these rooms in a good spot (not too small)? Are the elevators loud? Or stairs just better positioned?

Maine
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anchorage Inn ~ What's the story?

You have to take internet reviews with a grain of salt. It's obviously easy for a disgruntled employee, a poorly treated or vindictive customer, or even a competitor to post whatever suits them, and for multiple times.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anchorage Inn ~ What's the story?

I don’t think you’ll be bothered by the elevator. If my memory services me the elevator is sort of separated from the rooms. If you got a first floor room in the Atrium with limited ocean view, limited is the key word. You’ll be able to see the ocean, but it will be a little like standing on tip toe to peak at it. The Atrium has the better rooms, and their average size for a hotel room. The first floor will make a nice place for resting, and to hang while running in and out of the pool. I think you’ll be happy with your choice.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anchorage Inn ~ What's the story?

Same with the positive posts. It's very easy for owners to pose as customers and post glowing reviews under an assumed name using hotmail or other free email service.

I stayed at one place (in another state) that had a handful of 5-star reviews, but when I got there I thought it should have been only 2-stars at most!

An innkeeper posted a year or so ago in the Ogunquit forum that some innkeepers make it a game to jockey for top positions and in the process pad their position with fake reviews.

So, you have to read the reviews very critically, trying to determine if they are actual travelers or planted reviews. Look for reviews that are balanced, that point out plusses and minuses. And, look for reviews that address issues that customers actually care about. I'm always leary of reviews that address things I could care less about like how friendly the owner's children are... (huh?)

New England
Level Contributor
145 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anchorage Inn ~ What's the story?

Thanks, again, for the responses.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for dinner? We'll have to seat about 15 people? Or should we order take out & stay on the property?

8. Re: Anchorage Inn ~ What's the story?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about York Beach
More York Beach Topics