We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking?

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Parking?

We stayed in York for 8 minutes, the length of time a quarter buys on the parking meter. There are meters everywhere and they don't post the cost of the meter. You don't find out until you put the money in how much time you get. We don't travel with a lot of quarters so we left. Parking lots with no meters, where you pay as you leave would be better.

I wonder how the shops stay in business when the town is so greedy with their meters.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
Maine
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House
Union Bluff Hotel
Union Bluff Hotel
#2 of 9 hotels in York Beach
Cutty Sark Motel
Cutty Sark Motel
#3 of 9 hotels in York Beach
8 replies to this topic
South Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking?

This is the first year parking rates have been so high at York beaches. You are definitely not the first to complain about the cost. So many people including local business owners have complained that there is a special meeting June 29th about rolling the meter back to last years prices. Crossing my fingers that's what they decide to do!

Mentioned in this post
York
York
Maine
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking?

They really need to go to a system where there is paid parking but no meters. People drive into town, want to stay for a few hours and don't have change. There are lots of examples of that type of system that uses credit cards.

South Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
1 post
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking?

Agreed. We parked near the Wiggly Bridge (2 mopeds/1 spot) on a Sunday and returned to find 2 tickets equaling $100 - double the amount they would've gotten for one vehicle in the spot. Apparently we were in a "permit parking only" zone. The sign indicating this was obscured by tree branches and further down the street. We appealed the tickets to the town but were denied with no explanation. This has soured my feelings about York - a place we have loved to visit in the past.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
Maine
York Beach, Maine
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking?

Every one is better off parking in private parking lots and avoid any possibility of tickets . There are several now on York Beach to help out .

Mentioned in this post
York Beach
York Beach
York, ME
Tewksbury...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking?

We went to a restaurant around 7:00 pm. Didn't realize the meters were still in effect at that hour, and there are no posted signs about it. We came out to a $35 ticket along with many other cars. I appealed the ticket and it was denied. When we called the police department about it they told us the meters are posted with the times the meters are in effect. We did not see any and I took pictures of them. This is a SCAM that they use to get extra money from tourists. We will never go there again.

Augusta, Maine
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking?

Agree. Total rip off. Keep driving north. Mainers are a lot more friendly elsewhere.

Augusta, Maine
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking?

Pass the word! Go elsewhere!!!!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking?

How about parking and there are no signs that you have to pay to park outside the Taffy Shop!!

Came back to my car and found a $35 ticket! I had to look all the way down the street to see a box to pay at. There was no sign or anything that indicated paid parking. I could have parked outside the taffy shop for free if I had known!!!

I was in a rental with an out of state license. I could have thrown it away, but I didn’t.

I appealed the ticket and got the apparently stock answer, appeal denied.

I assure you I will never go back or recommend York, Maine to friends!

Mentioned in this post
York
York
Maine
Reply to: Parking?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about York Beach
More York Beach Topics