We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Bethesda

Which Bethesda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kaiserslautern...
Level Contributor
83 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in Bethesda

Will be in Bethesda for ten days at the residence inn marriott... they seem to charge $20 a day for parking. Any other options for parking in this area?

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Bethesda

Just other parking garages which will probably similar or more expensive in price. Street parking is hourly and you wont want to leave your car on a residential street for 10 days.

$20 is actually not a bad rate considering.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Bethesda

Knowing a little more about your travel plans will help--are you going to be spending your days in the downtown Bethesda area, or is your business taking you (and your car) elsewhere during the day? If so, to what general area? Bethesda is well-served with public transportation and taxicabs, and many large employers and nearby government agencies run their own shuttle services.

I'm assuming you're renting a car and using it over the course of your stay--if I'm wrong and you're planning on leaving it for ten days straight, please state so and there are definitely cheaper alternatives than $20/day I can suggest.

If you're using the car during the day and are only going to be parking at at the hotel overnight, then you may find it advantageous to park it at any of the nearby municipal parking garages (or metered street space if you find one). During the week, you would only need to pay a few dollars to cover you until 10 p.m., after which parking is free (until 7 a.m. the next morning). Muncipal parking is free all day Saturday and Sunday, so at the very least you could make use of muncipal garages on those days with minimal inconvenience and avoid the $20 charge from the hotel.

www.montgomerycountymd.gov/dpktmpl.asp…

All that having been said, public parking in Bethesda can be challenging and the savings may not be worth the hassle of dealing with parking more than once a day if you're going to be coming and going frequently. I agree with the above poster on that point, but I also wouldn't hesitate to leave it on the street (at a metered spot) if one is available and the meter time limits are reasonable. Parking on a *residential* street--there are some near the Residence Inn--is prohibited by county law for >24 hours unless it is in front of your own property, and some neighborhoods near Bethesda may require special residential permits that restrict this further for shorter periods of time.

The other thing you may not have considered (if renting a car) is--do you *really* need it at all or can you get away with renting it for a shorter amount of time? The savings from not spending $35/day to rent a car plus $20 to park it at the hotel, plus gas to drive it, plus possible additional parking fees at the places you're visiting can buy you a *lot* of public transportation, taxi rides, and airport shuttles when you actually need them.

Edited: 21 July 2011, 11:55
3. Re: Parking in Bethesda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 18:17