We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip.

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
36 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip.

We are coming to the east coast with our four children ages 15,14, 11 and 7 and stumbled upon the Hyatt in Cambridge. Seems like a great place to hang out with the kids for a few days of rest in between stops in New York and Washington. Is there enough to do in Cambridge for a family. Any suggestions comments welcome. Tks. Bill.

Eastern Shore...
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip.

Actually there really isnt that much to do in Cambridge, Easton, which is about 20s from Cambridge does have a bowling alley, movie theater (cambridge has a movie theater as well), what kinds of things are you looking to do and maybe I can help you find a great place to visit, I've lived here all my life, so I know the are pretty well.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
990 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip.

Your post gave me the excuse to look up the Hyatt...I've passed it on the way to the beach, and I've always wondered what it was like.

It looks lovely. Note how the promotional box on the website calls it a "delightful alternative." That's because Cambridge has never really been thought of as a big tourist destination. It's a very nice, quiet town of about 11,000 on the Eastern Shore, a town that everyone from Baltimore and DC goes through to get to the beaches. There are plenty of water-based activities, such as the Choptank River fishing pier, marinas, and so forth. This site has some additional information:

http://www.baydreaming.com/cambridge.htm

The hotel website says that they are close to Annapolis. Well...you do have to cross the Bay Bridge to get to Annapolis. Closer to Cambridge is the town of St Michaels, which has a large maritime museum and is a little more of a tourist destination.

If you're looking for peace and quiet and want to enjoy the hotel's amenities, it would be a good place, especially if it's not expensive. But if you're looking for lots of kid-friendly activities you may want to look into going another hour or so east to Ocean City or the Delaware beaches. Lots and lots to do there, and plenty of good deals this summer. Alternatively, look westward to Annapolis. The two four-star Annapolis hotels, the Loews and the Westin, are frequently great deals on Hotwire. Annapolis is right on the water and lots of fun for kids and teens.

Eastern Shore...
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip.

you just have to be careful where you go in Cambridge, if you stay at the Hyatt and dont go anywhere, except maybe Sailwinds Park, it is a very nice and quiet town, but dont venture in town. Downtown has gotten rather scary.

Howard County, MD
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip.

Downtown Cambridge is a gem! It has charming shops, galleries, a variety of restaurants, and timeless architecture. Not a lot for young children, but it is a great place for adults to enjoy an afternoon or evening.

Have a great meal at Bistro Poplar, Bella Luna, or Jimmie & Sook's. See www.cambridgemainstreet.com for other ideas.

5. Re: Family trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2010, 06:17