We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Country girl from Colorado..... 1st time East

Pueblo West...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Country girl from Colorado..... 1st time East

I have to go to Washington DC for a conference this November. Would like to travel to the east coast (?? Chesapeake Bay). I will have 4 extra days. Does anybody have ideas for an itinerary. My husband and I love the ocean, fishing and boating. Not much into the city life!! Thank you in advance. Lisa

11 replies to this topic
Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Country girl from Colorado..... 1st time East

Ok, first, Chesapeake Beach is in fact on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay, not the Atlantic east coast, per se. I know it well and it's not anywhere I would send a tourist. I would take US 50 East out of DC, cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, and head to Maryland's Eastern Shore. That's a scenic ride in itself. If you like wildlife areas, you might want to visit Blackwater NWR, Eastern Neck NWR, Prime Hook and Bombay Hook NWR in Delaware. You might also like our small towns like St. Michaels and Oxford in Maryland, which are fishing and boating towns on the Bay shore, or Rehoboth and Lewes in Delaware, that are beach towns. The waterfowl start amassing in the NWRs in November and it can be a spectacular site. These areas are where the beauty of the east coast lies in the mid Atlantic. Not in the cities, in my opinion.

Edited: 15 October 2013, 01:46
Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Country girl from Colorado..... 1st time East

To clarify, Blackwater and Eastern Neeck NWRs are in Maryland, Prime Hook and Bombay Hook in Delaware.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,181 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Country girl from Colorado..... 1st time East

Go to OC, head north towards Bethany, rehoboth and take the ferry to Cape May. then circle back to where ever you are leaving from. I would suggest 2 days in the DE or MD resorts and 2 days in Cape May.

Grasonville...
Level Contributor
379 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Country girl from Colorado..... 1st time East

The Eastern Shore of Maryland! Things get quite over here after October but you can still have a nice time. St Michaels is nice with many shops, but they all close at 5ish that time of the year. Ocean City or OC as the locals call it is a busy city in the summer but really quiets down in the fall and winter with many deals to be had. We love OC on the fall and winter. You might still get on a head boat this time of the year, but I'm not sure. Call ahead. You could shoot straight there then hit St Michaels on the way back. I would be interested in what days of the week you are looking at.

Pueblo West...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Country girl from Colorado..... 1st time East

Thank you so much. I am really interested in the small fishing towns of St. Michael and Oxford. I am excited to see and feel the beauty of the east coast mid Atlantic small towns. It is the small fishing harbor towns that appeal to us. So I was thinking leaving Washington DC on Saturday. Spend the night in St. Michaels, then Bethany, ocean city then oxford. Back to Washington DC on Wednesday for a flight home. Didn't really understand the NWR stuff. Do not know what that stands for. LOL. What do you think about this itinerary?

Lisa

Grasonville...
Level Contributor
379 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Country girl from Colorado..... 1st time East

I would stay 2 nights in St. Michaels then drive to Oxford and Easton. Downtown Easton is nice with many shops and restaurants. We like Brasserie Braswell in Easton. Oxford is pretty small and this time of the season I worry you will not have enough to do for a whole day.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,181 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Country girl from Colorado..... 1st time East

National wildlife refuge.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
405 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Country girl from Colorado..... 1st time East

If you are going to Bethany, I would skip OC. Annapolis has a ton of history and is on the western shore of the Chesapeake - you have to drive right by it to get to the Eastern Shore, so I'd spend at least one day there. If you are leaving DC in the morning, stop in Annapolis (about 45 minutes from DC depending on where in DC you are coming from and time of day). Spend the whole day in Annapolis, then head to St. Michaels in the late afternoon. St. Michael's is about 50-60 minutes or so from Annapolis. Stay the night there, then spend all day in St. Michaels and maybe half the next day in Oxford, if that, then head to the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge for the rest of the day. You could stay the night nearby at the Chesapeake Hyatt resort in Cambridge, or head to the beach. Unless you have some sort of burning desire to see the ocean (which I understand coming from Colorado), I'd skip Bethany/Ocean City, especially Ocean City, and stick to the smaller historic, bayside towns. In St. Michael's make sure to visit the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum - lots of interesting exhibits, especially if you are interested in fishing and boating.

Colorado
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Country girl from Colorado..... 1st time East

Hog wash, every place can be as enjoyable as you want it to be. I live in Colorado too (Monument) and often go east, up the Chesapeake Peninsula and travel around everywhere. In all fairness I should say I was born and raised in Baltimore, weaned on crabs, and my ancestors come from the peninsula. My little experience there were drunken weekends in OC in my youth but I have been making up for it in my later years. My last trip we visited Tangier Island, spent days in Oxford, Chesterton, etc. We are headed there again this year, will visit Smith Island, spend days on Chincoteaque Island, and travel around the Easton environs. I have some ancestors' graves in Galena and Pocomoke I want to find. And then, there are the crabs...

Every town and city on the peninsula has its own unique charm and history. Easton is pretty cool and historic, it once had one of the largest free black communities in the eastern part of the U.S. And I want to photograph what remains. So, when you get back on the mainland there are so many other cool cities like Annapolis. Me, I'm a photographer, interested in culture and sociology with a background in the state so I am happy no matter where I wind up.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,581 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Country girl from Colorado..... 1st time East

NikonBoy, you're responding to comments from 3 1/2 years ago??

Reply to: Country girl from Colorado..... 1st time East
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chesapeake Beach