We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maryland Historic National Road

Which Cumberland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids, Mi.
Level Contributor
126 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Maryland Historic National Road

Has anyone traveled this road? We hope to take it coming back from vacation next month. Are there some interesting places we should stop along the way? Also, I have heard of old restaurants along the route. We would be interested in knowing the names. Thanks for any help with our plans!!

6 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maryland Historic National Road

I have never driven the road as a tourist (used to work in Frostburg, however). The Maryland Department of Tourism has a great website and map of the area, including suggested stops. Check it out!

visitmaryland.org/Pages/HISTORICNATIONALROAD…

visitmaryland.org/BrochuresandMaps/HistoricN…

dctravel

Grand Rapids, Mi.
Level Contributor
126 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maryland Historic National Road

Thanks dctravel!!

I have obtained a map, with info, so hopefully that will be helpful. We will not be traveling the whole road, but hope to see some interesting sites. Thanks for writing!!!

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maryland Historic National Road

We traveled US 40 from eastern Indiana, across Ohio, and through Western Maryland. It is an interesting trip with many off the beaten path attractions that you would not go out of your way to see, but since you are on the route are worth a visit.

West of Baltimore in Maryland, US 40 either parallels or is the same road as I70 and I68. I am most familiar with that stretch. We have traveled US 40 north of Baltimore where it parallels I95. I don't recall much along that stretch.

Here are some of the highlights for us going east to west from Baltimore.

Ellicott City is a histoic town just south on route 144 which is part of the old Historic National Road. Historic buildings, quaint shops, historic B&O railroad station and museum.

New Market on route 144 - historic town, antique shops. Doesn't seem to be quite what it used to be.

Frederick on US40. Larger town. Has historic district with antique shops.

Cumberland, MD on US40 - Western MD Railroad and Station.

http://www.wmsr.com/

Note - getting into and out of Cumberland to continue on your journey can be tricky. It's not a simple onn/off.

From this point westward you follow scenic or alternate route 40. It is a pleasant, scenic drive through the mountains.

In La Valle, MD is the La Valle Toll House. Stop and take a look and see what the toll rates were.

Caselman River Bridge near Grantville. Stone bridge constructed in 1813. Near this is the Penn Alps Restaurant and Craft Village. Good food and a little artisan village with people working their crafts. Worth a stop for the food and to see the artisans.

Off into PA along US 40.

Old Petersburg Toll House in Addison, PA. Another toll house worth a quick stop.

Ft. Necessity National Battlefield - right off US 40

http://www.nps.gov/fone/index.htm

Brownsville, PA - historic district, historic bridges

Near Claysville, PA Historic S-Bridge. A unique way of builing a bridge across a stream so that the bridge was perpendiclar to the stream.

byways.org/explore/byways/2278/places/54267

Ohio

Blaine Hill Bridge, Blaine, OH

New Concord, OH - John Glenn home. Worth a stop.

http://johnglennhome.org/museum/

S-bridge

Zanesville

The "Y" bridge - unique bridge where 3 roads come together over a river.

National Road/Zane Grey Museum - good history of the road.

ohiohistory.org/museums-and-historic-sites/m…

Dayton

(these things are not on the National Road, but are worth a stop)

Dayton Aviation Hertitage Park

www.nps.gov/daav/planyourvisit/index.htm

Dayton is where the Wright Brothers did most of their work on creating and perfecting the airplane.

Includes the Wright Brothers bike shop where they first worked on creating an airplane and the airfiled where thay perfected flight after Kitty Hawk to make it a viable means of transportation.

National Museum of the Air Force

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Grand Rapids, Mi.
Level Contributor
126 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maryland Historic National Road

Thanks Dave! I appreciate you taking the time to share all the information on the Historic Road!!! I have printed your ideas and will bring them along on our travels. Thanks for your helpfulness!!!

Salisbury, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maryland Historic National Road

This may be a bit late but the Casslemans inn in Grantsville on Rt 40 is a great place to eat and the creepiest part is near Hancock Md it's looks like a totally abandoned highway complete with a "Dead man's curve" at the top of the mountain.

Grand Rapids, Mi.
Level Contributor
126 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maryland Historic National Road

Thanks for writing!! We have already completed our travels. I'm sure we would have enjoyed what you reccommended though!

Thanks again!

Reply to: Maryland Historic National Road
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cumberland