We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western Maryland weather

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Western Maryland weather

Hi all-

I need to make a research trip to Western Maryland. I have heard that it is very hilly to mountainous, and that the winter driving there can be treacherous.

I'm thinking of flying into Baltimore where I need to visit some folks in Cockeysville, then driving further west to Frostburg where I'd stay for a few days.

Then, I need to drive up to Pittsburgh, and finally up through Hermitage into Cleveland, and thinking of flying out from there.

Any experts on the area able to tell me about what time in the spring would be pretty safe for an inexperienced snow driver to make this haul? I'm a Texan, so don't do well on ice and snow. Especially in a rent car!

Thanks for any input!

m.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Western Maryland weather

I have been in two different white-out blizzard conditions on Iinterstate-68. In both cases the road was fine east of Cumberland,and cleared up again by the time we got to Morgantown, WV. Frostburg is just west of Cumberland, in that bad stretch.

On the otherhand I've made trips in the area in winter time with no problems, it just the luck of the draw, and they are pretty good about clearing the interstates quickly.

I would just take my chances if I were you.

If you're absolutely terrified of snow then wait until May, but I think that's a bit extreme.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Western Maryland weather

Thanks Jack.

Light snow is OK, it's just the really heavy stuff I probably wouldn't do well with.

When we get storms down here they're usually sleet/freezing rain instead of snow, so it instantly becomes ice on the road, and people get stupid. I tend to avoid driving altogether in Dallas when it's nasty because SUV does not = bulletproof, and some people cannot comprehend that. They still drive just as fast as usual, so the wrecks dot the landscape.

Since I'll be driving in unfamiliar territory, I'm trying to reconnoiter as much as possible and remove as many risks as I can!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Western Maryland weather

I will try and take a stab at this as I work in Frostburg and from time to time will commute from the Washington DC suburbs (in combination with having a place up here).

Winter driving can be scary, but I have found that while whiteouts can occur, the MD Department of Transportation does a good job of keeping the road clear. The safest thing to do is always go slow and if you drop below 40 mph, turn on your flashers.

As for time of year, I would avoid January, February and March if possible. This would allow you to shoot for the end of March or beginning of April to be safe.

I think you will find the drive from Baltimore to be very easy and the culture and community of Western Maryland to be similar to some areas of Texas.

When staying in Frostburg, I would recommend the Hampton Inn (its the newest and nicest), but the Days Inn is also pretty good. You will also find good food up here of all varieties including an excellent all you can eat Chinese Buffett, a wonderful Italian restaruant (Giseppi's), a good Mexican restaurant (El Canelo) and a number of other good places.

It sounds like you have a very interest trip planned. Let me know if I can be of other help.

dctravel

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Western Maryland weather

Thanks DC. That was a BIG help!

I have fallen in love with the Lake Pointe Inn in McHenry. While it is a little further away, I do need to be in various areas around Frostburg- including Grantsville, Lonaconing, etc. So driving is not a problem. We Texans think nothing of 200 mile drives for a weekend jaunt, so I think I've found a spot. It's a little more luxurious. And no ugly bedspreads!

March was definitely out after I saw the pictures on one inn site in the area and there looked to be at least 2-3 feet of snow still on the ground! April looks a little more promising. I may aim to leave here the weekend of Good Friday, which I believe falls on the 6th this year.

I appreciate the restaurant picks!

m.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Western Maryland weather

My pleasure, happy to help out.

6. Re: Western Maryland weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 12:21
Get answers to your questions about Frostburg