We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for dinner.

not Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
386 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for dinner.

My wife and I will be in Hagerstown to see a Suns game and I'm looking for dinner suggestions prior to the game.

I've been reading about the Stadium Grill and Tavern, here on TA, and it's sounds like a good choice. I like the idea of parking in the stadium lot and walking around the corner for a meal.

Can anyone trump that idea with another choice that is as good, or better?

When we visit another city we prefer to frequent locally owned and operated establishments as opposed to eating at just another chain .

Thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for dinner.

Hope this link works for you. In case it doesn't, just go to www.yelp.com and put in restaurants and Hagerstown MD. I use this site all the time when I travel, and rarely do the yelpers disappoint when I make my ultimate choices.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=restaruants&find_loc=Hagerstown%2C+MD&ns=1#sortby=rating

not Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
386 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for dinner.

Thanks 6tareg. I've known about yelp but have never really looked through it before. It is, after all, similar to TA .

My only concern about yelp as opposed to TA is some bad press concerning staged reviews. I have never heard that about TA. I'm sure it's possible though.

I did check out the site and will go back to it again. I suppose the best way to navigate that site would be similar to TA in that I would look at places that I have been before and see if the consensus rates it close to my own impressions.

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for dinner.

I am an elite Yelp member so I kind of know the ins and outs. The biggest red flags is how many reviews a writer has posted. I don't put much faith in someone who is done less than 10 in several years as a member, or someone who just signed up and did one review. All of that information is right there for the reader to see. Elite members must register with Yelp and provide an actual photograph of themselves. They are held to a much higher standard, and their reviews tend to be more trustworthy.

Hagerstown, overall, is not really noted for great culinary experiences, nor is Annapolis for that matter. But you should find some decent local eateries. I also like to see if some of the reviews are from visitors rather than locals, as they have a different perspective.

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for dinner.

urbanspoon.com/n/…Hagerstown-restaurants

This site also has the local restaurants, and reviews from multiple sources. Oh yes, I also pay close attention to the dates the restaurant was reviewed. In smaller towns like Hagerstown, some reviews maybe 4 years old, which really wouldn't help in determining the quality of service or food after that much time has gone by.

not Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
386 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for dinner.

Thanks for the info on Yelp. It applies also for TA as far as one or two reviews are concerned.

It seems that Yelp may be a little more discerning as to it's membership requirements. That is not a bad thing.

As far as dinner in a small town. I understand. We'll be there to see a game and we won't be there for the fine dining experience.

As stated in my original post we prefer to eat at locally owned restaurants as opposed to another visit to the Outback or Longhorn (chains). It's a choice that can be, sometimes, an iffy proposition but always worth a try.

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for dinner.

I totally understand that you are not looking for fine dining. My comment of a "great culinary experience" was not limited to high end restaurants. I rate my dining experience by what I expect a place to deliver on or what they promise to be a specialty. It's disappointing when you go somewhere that specializes in burgers or pizza for instance and you are left underwhelmed. Give me a hole in the wall with a great patty melt and fresh cut fries, or a pizza joint serving neapolitan blistered pies from 1000 degree ovens and I would put both in my great culinary experience category.

That said, smaller towns like Hagerstown, usually have the same round-up of chains and mediocre eateries. A lot of times the best local places are in strip malls or serve ethnic food. The most positive buzz I have read about were Rik's Cafe and Rhubarb House. But that might not necessarily trump the Stadium Grille for the convenience and for their diverse menu. I didn't mean to turn this into a dissertation, LOL. And believe it or not TA is stricter than Yelp when it comes to free speech. That is good and bad. In all cases, Yelp immediately posts reviews and doesn't necessarily screen what is written. TA on the other hand can be very picky. I wrote once about a roach I saw crawling near my plate and my review was denied. Apparently they consider these kinds of reviews too dangerous as they cannot validate the claims. As with anything on the net today, you need to peruse with a critical eye and not take anything for granted.

not Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
386 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for dinner.

Dissertation, no, I understand completely.

A restaurant or any other business for that matter should deliver what is promised be it a hamburger or a fine wine.

I have no problem with visiting a strip mall if I hear I can get a great meal. My wife and I commented just recently about finding a great, family owned Italian restaurant in a strip mall in Williamsburg, Va. By the way, it's called Sal's by Victor.

Concerning what you read on the internet never forget; "The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy." Abraham Lincoln , 1864.

Edited: 11 May 2014, 23:35
Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for dinner.

The Stadium is certainly worth checking out. I'd also recommend Rik's Cafe. After the game you must stop by and get some fresh Krumpe's Donuts!

Reply to: Suggestions for dinner.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hagerstown