We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Herrington Manor State Park Cabins

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
35 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Herrington Manor State Park Cabins

Previous posters have been quite accurate, so i just wanted to provide a quick update for anyone wondering if the cabins are still the same. We've stayed there twice in winter and found the cabins to be pleasantly rustic, clean, spartan, and private. If you call ahead to get your cabin's lock code, you won't even see a ranger during your visit.

Do be aware that nothing is provided but the furniture and kitchen equipment. Bring bedding, towels, soap, dish cleaning supplies, paper towels, etc. There is a microwave and electric stove and a few pots and pans. The baseboard heat and hot water heater are robust and lots of firewood is provided, so if you come in winter you'll be quite warm. There are plenty of recreational and restaurant possibilities nearby, but we like the cabins for a quiet retreat. There's a real "Little House in the Big Woods" feeling when you're falling asleep to the snap and pop of the embers of the fire in your cabin in the woods.

5 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Herrington Manor State Park Cabins

This was a lucky post as I was considering a winter stay in the area. Is there cross country skiing or snow shoe-ing nearby - don't want to drive far and lose the "Little House" feel? How does Harrington Manor compare to the Deep Creek Lake area?

Mentioned in this post
Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Herrington Manor State Park Cabins

Harrington Manor and Deep Creek are worlds apart, IMO.

Deep Creek homes are NICE. Harrington Manor cabins are real cabins in the woods. We love them. DH and I actually were married at Harrington Manor many moons ago.

My family has been going there since 1982. My parents, sisters and Aunt have finally moved about 5 miles away from HM. Still love it!!

USA
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Herrington Manor State Park Cabins

Cabin in the woods is more what I'm looking for. I had been going pretty regularly to Allegheny State Park in western New York but my travel buddy moved to Hagerstown MD but I will admit that I was growing tired of no running water - do the cabins have this amenity? Also is there out door activities if it's snow covered - cross countryskiing? snow shoeing?

Mentioned in this post
Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Herrington Manor State Park Cabins

YES, You have hot and cold running water, full bath facilities in the cabin. full kitchen with basic pots and pans, plates etc provided. You need to bring sheets, blankets, towels and personal stuff such as soaps for you and dishes.

Yes there is PLENTY to do when it snows. cross county ski trails abound, snow-shoeing would be no problem. If you are so inclined you can even go kayaking at Swallow Falls if it is running high enough.

There is down hill skiing at Wisp ski resort not to far away as well.

Talked with my Mom this morning and it is currently snowing (again)

Catonsville
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Herrington Manor State Park Cabins

We stayed in a cabin in January 2012. The cabin was dirty (I found a pair of a previous occupant's dirty underwear in one of the beds) and mice infested. Never coming back.

Reply to: Herrington Manor State Park Cabins
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oakland