We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery stores pricing

buffalo, ny
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
Grocery stores pricing

What store typically has better pricing for groceries in OC? Acme or food lion... In New York we have wegmans and tops so I'm unfamiliar with the other two. Just trying to decide how much food we're going to bring her if it's more economical to just buy in OC.

Mentioned in this post
12 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery stores pricing

You're best bet is the Walmart Supercenter in Berlin. It's on Route 50, 3 miles from OC

ohio
Level Contributor
98 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery stores pricing

I like the Food Lion before the bridge. I get on a few weeks before vacation and load coupons for the stuff we use on my Food Lion card and then check out the ad the week before we go.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,226 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery stores pricing

I'm with Bradysmom. The Food Lion on Stephen Decatur Highway in west OC has great prices, or at least comparable to what we pay at home. If you don't have a Food Lion card, you can get one at their service desk before you check out to get the best prices.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
487 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery stores pricing

If you are staying in the high rise part of Ocean City, it is out of your way to stop at the Walmart or food lion before the 50 bridge. We enter by coming down coastal highway. I find Food Lion at 117th street is reasonable. Acme is about the same price wise. But I prefer food lion.

I usually bring my basics from home, coffee,sugar, detergent, soap, paper towels and toilet paper, because I have stocked up on them when on sale. Also mayo and salad dressings, and any spices I might need. But the rest of my groceries I get once there.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean City
Ocean City
Maryland
Ocean City
Level Contributor
339 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery stores pricing

I like the Acme at 94th St. Better selection fresh fruits/veggies, don't need affinity card to get sale prices, easy in and out. If we want grocery stores in OC, think need to shop at them.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery stores pricing

If you're staying in north O.C. or passing through Delaware on your way in, the Harris Teeter in Selbyville is just 10 minutes away and well worth a visit. Like the other stores, you'll want to get their club card for extra savings. Bonus points with no sales tax on anything in Delaware (only grocery items are exempt in Maryland).

Checking out the weekly circulars for each of the stores online should give you a general idea of pricing at each.

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery stores pricing

Geez, its your vacation. Pick the closest store to your condo/hotel and enjoy your trip. Why drive all over town for groceries while on vacation to save 10 cents?

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery stores pricing

I agree with tfunky but based on my experience ACME is better but Food Lion is cheaper. I go to ACME when down there.

Chesapeake City...
Level Contributor
335 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery stores pricing

Haven't been to either for actual grocery shopping (had been to the Acme one before it was Acme...) but I know at home, I'd definitely go to Acme before Food Lion. Acme usually has much better meat and produce. In general.

Poughkeepsie NY
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery stores pricing

Acme is much better. I find their prices and quality superior to Food Lion, and they are a LOCAL company, not international.

Reply to: Grocery stores pricing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted