We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sidewalk Question(s)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Sidewalk Question(s)

I will be in OC this weekend and am currently training for a 1/2 marathon and will need to run 12 miles while there. I am working on creating a route and wondering if Coastal Highway has a sidewalk to run on?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

17 replies to this topic
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,493 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

Yes, the sidewalk goes from the Inlet to the Delaware line (about 10 miles). Please don't run against the flow of traffic. You'll be crossing 145+ street intersections. Depending on the weather and tide, you could run on the beach at low tide, the sand is quite firm at low tide.

The boardwalk runs from the Inlet to 27th St., no intersections, its 2.5 miles long.

Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

Keep in mind that not only will you have to cope with 145 intersections, more or less, but this is by far not what you would call a smooth sidewalk for running. You'll have to encounter untold 'dips' where there are small ramps/driveways for vehicles to access parking lots.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

I would recommend the beach, the boardwalk, or Northside Park to run. Or running on the bay side of town. Coastal Highway sidewalks are very narrow and many are blocked by overgrown trees and signs.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

Thanks for all the advice. North Park does not seem very big. There will be 2 of us and we usually run fairly early in the morning. I will look at low tide times. With the boardwalk only being 2.5 miles that is a thought then move of the beach during the low tide timeframe.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

UGH! Low Tide is 4:26 am . . . not sure I wanted to start THAT early. I can't run in the heat much so will need to figure something else out.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

Drive to the north end of Fenwick, park your car and run along Del Rt one. Has a bike/running lane and many people use it. From Fenwick State park to the north end of Bethany Beach is about 5 miles plus/minus each way.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

There is also a walking/bike lane on Rte 50 that goes from OC to West OC over the bay and drawbridge. I don't (can't) run so I'm not real sure how long of a run you need. I'm guessing around 13 miles.

But here's a suggestion. I am also an Ocean City Insider and I know that there are a couple of other Insiders who live in the area and run. We've had this question before, and here are some of their answers.

"The neighborhoods behind Jolly Roger and on the bay side at the north end of town (Little Salisbury near 90th, Montego Bay near 130th, and Caine Woods near 140th) all have lots of longer streets and not too much traffic. In the south end of town St Louis Avenue runs parallel to the west of Coastal Highway and does not have too much traffic.

If you drive up to Delaware traffic gets much lighter in Fenwick Island, and there are lots of runners between Fenwick and Bethany on Coastal Highway.

Drive across the first Route 90 bridge and park at the Nature area on the Isle of Wight. Take St Martin's Neck Road (the road crossing Route 90) and run towards the Lighthouse Sound area and along the back bays.

Take the Route 50 bridge to the park and ride lot (left at the first light after crossing the bridge). Park there and then run down Route 611 towards Assateague. There are lots of great side streets to ride on there too.

All of these routes are safe and scenic. They also let you run as short or long a distance as you desire."

Another answer:

"I like running along Assawoman Drive which spans from 118th to 134th or Wright Street from 135th to 145th. Both streets are located on the ocean side and run parallel to Coastal Highway.

There is also the community of Montego Bay on 130th bayside."

And here's an upcoming race next April that you may like to take part in. It outlines the route in the advertisement. octrirunning.com/ocean-city-md-running-event…

Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

Dude2360 has a good option. It would be a very scenic route. I will suggest that you will see people running in the Bus Lanes on Coastal Highway. I'm not even certain if that's legal. I can say that it's DANGEROUS. A few weeks ago, a young j-1 immigrant worker on a bicycle on Coastal Highway was killed by a hit-and-run driver. As you evaluate your choices, put the Bus Lane idea at the very bottom of your list. Keep in mind that this is Sunfest Weekend....a very busy weekend for the off-season.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

Great ideas MoMoo and Dude2360! We will have a car so can travel to run! Thanks so much for the info!

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

Newgd, if you run early in the morning you can easily run on Coastal hwy. Its flat and you can get your training in very easily then. I've run, my wife has runs and others run on Coastal as well but in the morning only. Coastal has a bus lane so you run facing the traffic so if you see a bus coming or a car turning you can jump on the sidewalk (but still running I may add) quick till they pass.

For example my wife will start her run at 5:30/6:00 am at 100th st and run up to the Delaware line and back with no issues.

I don't run that far, lol.

Edited: 20 September 2017, 12:16
Reply to: Sidewalk Question(s)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City
Recent Conversations