We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sidewalk Question(s)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Sidewalk Question(s)

I will be in OC this weekend and am currently training for a 1/2 marathon and will need to run 12 miles while there. I am working on creating a route and wondering if Coastal Highway has a sidewalk to run on?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
67 reviews
11. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

The girl on the bike was hit by a drunk driver "at night".

Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
80 posts
12. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

Well and good tfunky. Sunrise this weekend is around 6:50. If you think it's a good idea to be running in the dark on Coastal Highway @ 5:30am, with cars and trucks going by 6 feet away from you at 55+ mph, even thought the posted is 45, have at it. Not for me. The place that I frequent is right on Coastal Highway. I drink my coffee on the balcony in the morning, and watch the sunset in the evening. In all of those years, I've seen 2 accidents, and multiple near-misses.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
13. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

Thanks for the added info tfunky but we may just do more or a scenic run so that we can take some pics and rub it in our running clubs face that our run was so AWESOME! :)

Again, thanks to everyone that commented!

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
67 reviews
14. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

MD, don't lecture me about running when you don't probability don't get off the couch till 11 am.

I say that because if you did run you would know that many people run this route every singe morning. This is not an opinion it's a fact. You would also make note that traffic at 5 am is very minimal.

And just because the official sunrise states 6:50 am doesn't mean there isn't any light yet. Oh yes Coastal has street lights and runners that do run at night are smart they have a running light on their body somewhere.

In saying all that Coastal to run on is probably safer because of there being others on the road as to running in the dark along a back trail. A dark, non familiar trail or scenic run might not be a safer option to me.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
15. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

What about running at Assateague Island. Anywhere to run there?

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
67 reviews
16. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

If my memory serves me correct the OC half Marathon's route runs from Assateague to the inlet.

Race information can be found by clicking my link.

octrirunning.com/ocean-city-md-running-event…

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
17. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

So I just wanted to follow up and thank everyone for their comments. We ended up running starting at Coastal Highway on Lighthouse Road (54) out 6 and back 6. Then we ate breakfast at Country Side Café which was a place we passed while running! We also stopped at a little shop next to there and some workers in the store asked if we had run by earlier!

Thanks again for all the support from everyone!

18. Re: Sidewalk Question(s)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2018, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City