We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please....Ocean City and Assateague Island plus more!!

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Help please....Ocean City and Assateague Island plus more!!

Ok so i decided to go to Ocean City instead of Williamsburg .

Anyway....we going on May 3rd and leaving May 4th....yes just 1 night.

Its gonna be hubby,me and four kids 14,12,10 and 2.

Its gonna be Springfest when we go according to the events listed on the Ocean City website,so we most likely will go to the Boardwalk and enjoy that.

I also heard about Assateague Island and wild horses.

We are not the hiking type,but wanted to go and see the horses and other wild life.

I'm a little confused though.

We're coming from VA and wondering if i enter through the VA entrance can i drive straight through and exit through the MD entrance??

Also will we be able to see alot driving through or not??

What else is there to do there,please any info would help.

We also need recommendations for hotels and we don't mind staying away from the Boardwalk to avoid paying high prices.

So please leave me any info tips and advice for our Ocean City trip,things to do with the kids etc. THANKS!!!

Onley, Va
Level Contributor
492 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please....Ocean City and Assateague Island plus more!!

You cannot enter the Maryland side by driving thru the Virginia side. I am sure the kids would enjoy seeing them - I always have more luck seeing them on the Maryland side, it does not involve a lot of hiking - we always manage to find some without ever getting out of the car. There are some nice nature paths that are worth walking but again - not what I would call hiking.

If going during Springfest dont wait to make reservations - busy time for OC. Away from boardwalk is generally less expensive - bus system is very good. On the other side of the RT 50 bridge there is a park and ride which is very convenient if you can find a hotel over there. $1.00 per person for a 24 hour pass - ends up costing less than parking in the OC inlet lot.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please....Ocean City and Assateague Island plus more!!

becbac, There should be plenty of hotels, even boardwalk hotels that have reasonable rates for the first week of May. For many, it will will be their first week open. As for Assateague, you should go to the Federal Park side (turn right after you cross the bridge to the island) and pay the daily entrance fee. You wll be able to park and walk to the beach or the bay side in little time. Horses and small deer are abundant, so you should see them any where you go. There are several walking trails that aren't really that long to check out the marine and bird life. Hope you have a great time!

ocean city
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please....Ocean City and Assateague Island plus more!!

You may find that if you call the hotels ahead they will have a 2 or 3 night min stay. If you drive around when you get to oc you may find a hotel for just one night...you luck will improve away from the boardwalk.

New York
Level Contributor
887 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please....Ocean City and Assateague Island plus more!!

my vote is for the state side. the federal side is a little more picturesque & ALOT more mosquitto ridden. if your just doing a drive-thru.....either side is fine but to get out of the car to take photos or to see the beach, the state side is the way to go. enjoy!

Virginia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please....Ocean City and Assateague Island plus more!!

Thanks everyone!!

Our plans have changed yet again!

We're now thinking on the 1st or 2nd weekend in Sept.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please....Ocean City and Assateague Island plus more!!

"We are not the hiking type,but wanted to go and see the horses and other wild life"

The Maryland side "hikes" are more like easy strolls.

"We're coming from VA and wondering if i enter through the VA entrance can i drive straight through and exit through the MD entrance??"

Nope.

"Also will we be able to see alot driving through or not??" Maybe. I swear there is always the same horse and deer by the entrance. It's so pretty and pleasent to walk on the paths though. I wouldn't just stay in the car.

"What else is there to do there,please any info would help."

The outlets in Rehobeth are nice if you want to do a little shopping. Downtown Rehobeth is really fun as well, tons of cute shops and restuarants.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please....Ocean City and Assateague Island plus more!!

You can park your car at Assateague Island parking area and get out go to the beach, walk around, see the horse's. It's basically a beach with horses' roaming around.

it's something else to do in Ocean City

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please....Ocean City and Assateague Island plus more!!

on assateague, don't just see the beach!

the bayside is beautiful, too...and that's where you can see more birds, etc.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
982 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please....Ocean City and Assateague Island plus more!!

Old Ferry Landing is our favorite Assateague spot to visit. It's on the federal park side in MD. You can park close to the bay and walk on several small little piers and docks. There are always some neat birds to see, and you can wade in the water. Some signs explain the sites, and you can walk out onto a little island. In the summer, there are always people crabbing or fishing who will show you what they have caught! It's definitely a way to get the island experience without committing to a long hike...you can explore the whole place in about thirty minutes.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help please....Ocean City and Assateague Island plus more!!

agreed...the old ferry landing is a nice spot!

there are some walking trails bayside which unfortunately i've never done because when we camped there we always had the dogs with us & they weren't allowed. easy & short, though. i know they are easy because it's all flat as a pancake.

btw, the bugs CAN be terrible, but it does depend on which way the breeze is blowing. we actually camped bayside in the national seashore part in june once & never even saw ONE mosquito!