We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WHAT the heck is a crab larvae?

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Close to the Jersey...
5 posts
Save Topic
WHAT the heck is a crab larvae?

Just read about some creature in the water call a megalops or crab larvae that can get under your skin. UGH, really?

How do you get them off? Should we avoid swimming in the ocean? Sort of defeats the purpose of a vacation at the beach...

Also, how bad are the jelly fish this time of year? Isn't it MSG that gets the sting out?

Culpeper, Va
Level Contributor
241 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WHAT the heck is a crab larvae?

Yes, they do get under your skin and it itches like crazy. I've only heard of this happening on Assateague, though.. Someone else may have another experience. I've been swimming in the Atlantic for years and have never encountered them off the coast of Ocean City.

From what I hear, jelly fish are not bad at all this year, going in 17 days!!! I've always heard Ammonia really helps with the sting pain.

Downingtown, PA
Level Contributor
420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WHAT the heck is a crab larvae?

Wow, that is really really gross.

I also have never heard of that, nor have I had any kind of rash from swimming in the ocean. hmmmm....however with this in mind, i may rethink taking a dip!!! :)

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WHAT the heck is a crab larvae?

I never heard of crab larvae either until DOGMOM told me about it.

As for the jellyfish, I didn't see any when we were down in July. And, really haven't seen any in the ocean at any time we've ever gone to OC, but have seen them in the bay areas though in the past.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WHAT the heck is a crab larvae?

yeah, they got us once....i know we were on the VA side of assateague, but i can't remember what time of year it was.

they are teeny & pretty much transparent except for their eyes, & they DO itch like crazy! i don't think they actually get UNDER the skin, i think they just kind of imbed themselves. it took a serious shower to get them off.

but in 54 years of being in the ocean, that was the ONE and ONLY time we encountered them. had no idea what they were till we ansked a ranger.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WHAT the heck is a crab larvae?

as for the jellyfish....not msg, but meat tenderizer, i have no idea if it works or not. supposedly vinegar helps. also there is a commercial product specifically made for it (can't remember the name, but i saw it in the CVS last time i was down).

i've only ever been stung once in my life, & not bad...it went away on its own within 10 minutes or so.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WHAT the heck is a crab larvae?

anyway, point being...

get in the water, don't worry about it. if i've had two encounters in 54 years....it ain't no thing, hon!

Maryland
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WHAT the heck is a crab larvae?

I had an experience once with them in Ocean City about ten years ago. It only happened one day during a week long trip. It was a miserably itchy situation, and we ran straight back to the place we were staying at for a shower. No damage done, just very very itchy.

In the fifteen years I've been going to OC it only happened that one time. Odds are good you'll never have to deal with the evil little buggers.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,131 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WHAT the heck is a crab larvae?

Are these the same things we used to call "sea lice" when I was a kid?

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WHAT the heck is a crab larvae?

irish, what did your "sea lice" look like?

i gather that true sea lice are the larvae of jellyfish & other stinging creatures, & the effects are WAY worse...since they have the same toxins as the adult version. blisters & very ugly rashes, etc.

the crabby ones just itch.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,131 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WHAT the heck is a crab larvae?

I really don't remember seeing them, it's been years...I just remember the term "sea lice", and they used to cause some kind of rash or burn or something...sorry...