We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for a family with kids

cincinnati
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for a family with kids

WE have access to some condos on a time share type of thing, but there are many from which to choose and we've never been to Ocean City. We want to go in July. Would have 3 couples and one young child (3 years old).

What part of Ocean City do we want to go towards to be near arcades, restaurants, etc and near the beach? Some of the condos are at 145th Street, or something like that. Others are at 54th street. WE just don't know the area at all.

WE like to hang out at the beach a lot, but then have a restaurant/bar/sports bar to go to, preferably one that's on the water or has a view, and we want some things for the younger folks (2 of the couples are in their 20's) to do.

Any help greatly appreciated!

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for a family with kids

The Hilton in Ocean City is excellent!! Has a children's pool w/slide. Seperate adult pool. All rooms face the beach. I really enjoyed staying here last year and plan to do it again next yr.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for a family with kids

Don't be too concerned with location becuase OC is easy to navigate around. The bus is around the clock during peak season and cost just $2 bucks a day to ride all day. If you were going with your own family I would recommend something near the amusement/arcades but since it sounds to be a large group then a condo will do you fine. I would try the condos near 54th st first and go from there, that would put you in a good spot in OC.

Alos the 2 couples that are in their 20's will like Seacrets' which is at bayside and 49th st.(Walking distance)

Pittsburgh PA
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for a family with kids

The boardwalk ends at 28th st., but from about 9th st. down is where the bulk of the activity (arcades & stuff like that) is, from there up to 28th it's mostly hotels, & condos a few shops and restaurants. The whole boardwalk itself is about 2&3/4 mile long.I prefer to stay around 18th st. - just far enough away fro the action, but not too far... If you choose to stay above 28th st. you would probably be better off driving when you go to the boards rather then taking the bus. True it's only 2 bucks, but in July, you could be waiting forever to get on, and when you do you are piled on top of each other.

There are plenty of nice places to stay above the boardwalk, but I'd try to stay centraly located. No matter where you choose to stay you'll be ok. Ocean City is ten miles long, and there is plenty of great places to go from one end of town to the other. I would suggest though if you want the true oc experience (ocean city IS the boardwalk IMO) not to stay around 145st as you mentioned, simply because if you do want to go down to the inlet or the boards that ten mile trip through the traffic in July, will seem like 30!

DuBois, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
20 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for a family with kids

If you stay near secreats the younger couples as well as the older ones could walk home after a night out. If not then do plan to take the bus. It is not bad and the cost is very cheap. OC is very tough on drunk driving so don't take the chance.

Mackeys is a bar on the water that has a great happy hour. Castle in the Sand also is right on the ocean with a good happy hour and seafood buffet. It is the most reasonable priced seafood buffet in OC.

There are also many nice bars on the water on the bayside downtown.

Also another nice bar is on the corner of 16th. It is across from the catholic church. There are 3 different types of bars in one building and also a pool bar that is open all day,

There are restaurants all along the highway so where ever you stay you will be close. Phillips is the most popular and they have a huge seafood buffet.

There is putt put golf on every corner. Once you get there you can buy you beach things at Rose's on 90th street. They have the same selections as the boardwalk shops but better prices.

Once you go to Ocean City you will fall in love with the place. We went first in 1972 and have been back almost every year since.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for a family with kids

Also OC is easy to get around, car, walk, bus, tram and so forth. Don't worry to much about location but since you will have a child along you don't want to be too far away. Like I said before the condos near 54th are your best bet and you be just a bus or car ride from the boardwalk.

Grafton...
Level Contributor
154 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for a family with kids

Stay on the ocean side. Ocean City is split up the middle by a six lane highway and staying on the bay side means crossing it every time. Its a long walk with all your gear. This year we rented a condo ocean front and man, that was awesome!! We always stay around mid town. No matter thought there is so much to do. Have fun.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for a family with kids

We have stayed a little bit of everywhere over the years and I have found around 70th st to be a good location (so 54th would be great). As many posters have said there are plenty of places to eat, drink and play putt putt! Many places on the bayside have sand boxes or small beaches and are very kid friendly.

Ocean side also has the advantage of being able to go back to your condo for lunch, bathroom or naps with a little one. You also don't feel like you are packing up to stay the whole day. You can walk back to your place for an hour or 2 during peak sun if you want and come back out later.

The bus is the best value in town at $2 / day and traveling early is not bad - late at night it is referred to as the "drunk bus" for good reason. This is not a bad thing and can be entertaining but it does get crowded.

Once the season starts you can access the local papers online and find information about places to eat and nightlife.

Enjoy your vacation!!

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for a family with kids

Like most places it comes down to how much you would like to spend and what you are looking for. I would only stay on the Boardwalk. I prefer the Holiday Inn Suites on 17th. Great location good room size and great amenities,however,it is pricey. The Hilton is just up the beach,however,it is 4 blocks off the Boardwalk. It is really nice to walk out your hotel and be on the Boardwalk, you don't have to worry about traffic,parking,buses etc. Good luck

9. Re: Where to stay for a family with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 03:19