We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assateague camping info and advice?

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northeast
8 posts
Save Topic
Assateague camping info and advice?

We're planning to camp mid-May at the State park beach campground (with the showers)- I've been reading as much as I can on the subject- such as staking for wind,etc- any advice on activities,things to do in the local area? How about restaurants in the vicinity in case we don't feel like cooking much?

I also see advice for screen tent,however,I'm wondering if it will be too difficult to keep safe from the wind,in addition to our (large) tent,which should provide enough excitement by itself from what I hear......

TIA for any and all advice for families on a 4 night camping trip!

ocean city
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Assateague camping info and advice?

What sort of restaurnts would you be looking for? quick carry-out or a sit down dinner?

Northeast
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Assateague camping info and advice?

either type of restaurant,looking for a family type place to eat,maybe some real local specialties to try?

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assateague camping info and advice?

no specific recommendations for restaurants, though i guess you'd have to go into either OC or berlin....we used to sometimes drive into OC for dinner.

i may have been the one who recommended the screen house & all i can say is that we never had a problem due to the wind. it stayed upright during one really ferocious thunderstorm (during which we had to take refuge in the car). but yes, it was held down with a number of sand stakes & also, it was the kind where all other points meeting the ground were weighted down with sand.

no guarantees, obviously, but ours never did blow away.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Assateague camping info and advice?

oh & also, i should have said...we were always on the national park side & my husband thinks we may have been a bit more sheltered by the dunes, but i don't know, never having really seen the state park campsites.

Virginia
Level Contributor
189 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Assateague camping info and advice?

You might consider the Assateague Crab House on 611/Stephen Decatur.

Northeast
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Assateague camping info and advice?

thanks for the restaurant advice- I'm not sure we could stake our big square screen tent really well,we'll be on the beach side of the State park....

how long does it take to drive to Berlin or OC? I think the kids would like to see that while we're nearby too- BTW- sand stakes? do they work? I've been reading about burying bags of sand,etc to hold the tent down,but will buy sand stakes too if they might be useful-

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Assateague camping info and advice?

It will take you about 15 minutes to get from the state park to OC. If you don't feel like trying to find a parking space in OC, I'd suggest you park at the West OC Park & Ride...you can't miss it, it will be on your right before crossing bridge into OC...you park there for free and it cost $1.00 for the shuttle all day from the lot to OC or you can get a transfer for just a buck more and use the OC bus system all day from the inlet to the Delaware line.

As for places to eat near you, if you like BBQ, you have to try Smoker's BBQ Pit which is on 611 about a quarter of a mile from RT. 50.

Hope you have a great trip!

ocean city
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Assateague camping info and advice?

If you go into Ocean City and got to the boardwalk( which I would if you are only 15 min. away) you will find tons of rides, food and shops. Be sure to try soem Thrashers fries and Fishers caramel popcorn. The Ocean City boardwalk would be a great place to spend an evening. As for family friendly food not too far from the park I would say Harborside Bar and Grill, which is located at the fishing harbor in West Ocean City is a good spot. It is right on the water, casual and the burgers are great. www.ocharborside.com/index.php… If you are looking for crabcakes I would go right next store from Harborside to Captins Galley. There is upstairs and downstairs dining. Upstairs is more casual and you can sit outside on the deck and look at the water view.http://www.occaptainsgalley2.com/. Have fun camping and exploring the area.

Northeast
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Assateague camping info and advice?

thanks for food advice- bbq sounds good- I keep reading Thrashers fries-are they special?

Ocean City, Maryland
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Assateague camping info and advice?

Hopefully mid-May won't be too hot and draw the mosquitoes and horse flies out. If it is really hot during this time I strongly suggest the screen room. It may sound like a real pain but believe me it's worth it. One night two years ago the mosquitoes were so bad that our entire party was covered with bites just walking from the beach to our car.

As Editor for oclocals.net I spend a lot of time on Assateague Island and I can tell you first hand that the horses are great when they come up to you but the horse flies are miserable. If the wind is blowing this tends to keep the pests away, but the evenings can be tough.

As for restaurants I would suggest Salvatores for Italian. It is located at the corner of Rt 611 and Rt 50. Just west of Rt 611 on Rt 50 is Waterman's, a great seafood restaurant. Next to Waterman's is Bull On The Beach, an excellent restaurant for anything beef. If you follow Rt 611 straight across Rt 50 there is the White Marlin Mall. This is a spread out strip mall that has some very good restaurants, including: Sakuras Japanese Steak House; The Outback Steakhouse; Applebes; Ledo's Pizza; and some smaller fast food type restaurants. Just in case you don't know the area, Rt 611 is the road that ends at Assateague Island. Along the drive from Assateague Island to Rt 50 you will also pass The Greene Turtle restaurant which is very good.

Have a great vacation!