We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spinnaker Motel or Howard Johnson on 12th St.?

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Spinnaker Motel or Howard Johnson on 12th St.?

Hi,

I called to make reservations and both are coming up to be more or less the same price for a week in July. Any suggestions as to which one would be the best choice? Howard Johnson doesn't seem to have good reviews, but all their rooms were recently renovated. Some of the differences I believe are:

One is a Motel of course

Spinnaker is efficiencies

Any suggestions as to which would be my best bet? I would really appreciate it.

2 adults and 2 children (ages 8 and 4).

Thanks

OCMD
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spinnaker Motel or Howard Johnson on 12th St.?

We have stayed at HoJo on 12th, but not at Spinnaker so cannot make a comparison for you. It was at least 6 years ago that we stayed at that HoJo so it's likely changed somewhat. At that time, it was adequate; nothing extra-special; nothing noticably bad either. Hopefully someone has stayed recently and can provide pros/cons. Good luck.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spinnaker Motel or Howard Johnson on 12th St.?

I could only find one review, and it's not bad.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g41298-d2544…

dunmore pa
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Spinnaker Motel or Howard Johnson on 12th St.?

Hi. I stay at the Spinnaker every year on 18th street and I am a volunteer for the Tourism dept. It is well kept and clean right down to the landscaping. They also have a cafe which is open till about 2pm for breakfast and lunch. The help is wonderful!!!Also the Spinnaker is in a nice location close to a CVS Pharmacy by 4 blocks and Phillips buffet and several other famous eateries and Holy Savior Church. The rooms are plain but have full size fridges and sofas and nice beds and tables. I just think they keep it spotless and that is why I recommend pople to stay there.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spinnaker Motel or Howard Johnson on 12th St.?

Thank you to all. I've decided to go with Spinnaker Motel. Will post a review after my vacation in July.

Thank you

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
367 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spinnaker Motel or Howard Johnson on 12th St.?

I have never stayed at either place but we do stay right near the Spinnaker (Holiday Inn Suites) and I'm always impressed by how neat and clean the place is year after year! Flowers are always blooming in pots and landscaping is always perfect! Also, the clientele seems very nice too. I would not hesitate to stay there myself if the inside was as well kept as the outside. Also, I believe that from each balcony you can see the ocean. We have found we LOVE this location (we have a 10 year old daughter) ...you can walk to practically anywhere you want to go!

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spinnaker Motel or Howard Johnson on 12th St.?

The Spinnaker has a nice size outdoor pool and seems to be better maintained than the Howard Johnson. The outdoor pool at the HJ is a joke and last year there wasn't even any water in it. The HJ seems to be very iffy. I think that the Spinnaker is good choice and that you will enjoy staying there.

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
634 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spinnaker Motel or Howard Johnson on 12th St.?

sac2008 says, "The Spinnaker has a nice size outdoor pool and seems to be better maintained than the Howard Johnson. The outdoor pool at the HJ is a joke and last year there wasn't even any water in it. The HJ seems to be very iffy. I think that the Spinnaker is good choice and that you will enjoy staying there."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That doesn't surprise me about HoJo's outdoor pool. I stayed there a year before they built the thing and their indoor pool and hot tub were absolutely disgusting to the point where we didn't use either.

Their rooms weren't any better...holes in the sofa and sliding door screens and we pulled the comforters down and low and behold no sheets, lol.

And, I don't know if they still have their breakfast set up the same way, but when we were there they give you passes for their "free" continental breakfast at check-in, but what they don't tell you beforehand is where the separation between the continental and the "paid" breakfast is, so we got cereal and some juice and some sausage and hash browns and when we went to hand our passes to the lady she said we owed an additional $3.99 each for the "hot stuff", lol. I didn't have my purse with me and I asked if it would be alright if I would pay after we were done eating and she said no, so we had to go back up to the room bring the money down and by that time our sausage and hash browns were cold and we asked if they could reheat it for us or give us fresh hot sausage and hash browns and they refused.

We stayed there in off season (May)and I know I would never pay their rates they charge in season, totally not worth it.

I personally haven't stayed at the Spinnaker, but I'm thinking just about anything else would be better than HoJo's.

8. Re: Spinnaker Motel or Howard Johnson on 12th St.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 00:17