We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Question

altoona.pa
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Another Question

I am wondering what does everyone suggest as far as money. Should we get traveliers checks? Also how much cash should we carry if any, and for a four night stay how much money do we need?? Meals,shopping,junk food and any activities. Our son age 11 loves to spend!!

Thanks ,Angelina

Albany NY
Level Contributor
483 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Question

I would think that travelers checks might be a bit of a hassle. Definitely carry cash (as I say that I might have $20 in my purse -- I'm a debit card person). It's much easier to have cash handy for the small food purchases and the like.

On the other hand, you probably won't want to leave too much cash in the hotel room. And please don't decide to have your husband put it in a Ziploc bag in his swimming trunk pockets. Last year someone (I think they were from PA) did that and luckily another visitor found the bag and returned it to him (his handily had his entire wallet in the bag).

There are major banks in Ocean City. Check to see if your bank has a branch or ATM there so you won't have to pay any fees if you are concerned about having too much cash on you at once.

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
53 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Question

since no one else has replied I'll try to help you out. We went last year with our daugher (age 8)for 4 nights. I don't do traverlers checks only becuase I don't do a good job at recording them and then I think if I don't record everything and if they were stolen I wouldn't be able to recover anything. I can't tell you exactly how much money to bring but I feel like I always spend more then I planned :-) We mostly ate in out hotel room for breakfast and then we made sandwhices for lunch and then out for dinner, plus buying snacks in the afternoon and evening. Most dinner places that we went to seemed to be pricey, except one night we went to Subway to try to save $$. For dinners I mostly used my debit card. When we went to the beach I brought maybe $20 cash in case we wanted to get an ice cream, drink or fries. I feel like we spent at least $100/day on food and activities. The one night we ate a phillips and spent about $100 just on dinner. put-put golf is around $8/person, we did go-karts one night and we probably spent $30, then at the arcade we spent around $20. We ended up buying a beach umbrella and a boogie board, at one of the beach shops and those were pretty inexpensive.

Sorry if my thoughts seem choppy.....hope it helps.

Have a fun time!

Ocean City
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Question

For a family of three, estimate about $100 per day spending money. Carry some cash and use a debit card (if you have one).

Travelers checks can be a hassle.

Check to see if your hotel offers a free safe box at the front desk. Sometimes they are free and are a good place to keep all your cash.

As the other poster said, there are a few major banks in OC.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Question

Don't need travelers checks. Most everyplace will take credit, debit, etc. Can't tell you how much to take as it really depends on how well you eat and how much junk you buy. OC does not have to be expensive, lots of pizza, subways, etc but that nice breakfast out can be $10+ per person.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Question

Its hard to tell someone how much they need for a day. Like others said just about all resturants/shops take cards. We use the cards for food and cash for games and snacks on the boards.

Also check the lobby for flyers or coupons for food deals to save a few $$.

pennsylvania
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Question

at any WAWA you can take out cash from an ATM for free.. we always do that

South NJ
Level Contributor
274 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Question

I see you are from PA...If you have an account with PNC Bank, there are three of them in town. Plus, as mentioned above, the WAWA ATM's are fee-free, and they are at 120th St and West OC on Rt. 50.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Question

I am assuming that you already have your hotel/condo paid for, so we won't factor that in. You will easily spend $100 a day just on food. We were there in May for four nights and spent a little over $600 for my husband and me. If you can afford to take extra, I'd take about $1000 just to be sure, unless you have access to your money at an ATM.

West Mifflin PA
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Question

If you spend like my family...take your highest estimate on what you intend to spend...then add 30% LOL

Massillon, OH
Level Contributor
178 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Question

Just take a credit card (as long as you are like me and pay it off at the end of the month} and some cash - ATM will over priced - NEVER GO THERE!

Get answers to your questions about Ocean City
Recent Conversations