We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Hotel (10th St.) Travel Advisory

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ocean Pines...
Level Contributor
885 posts
Save Topic
American Hotel (10th St.) Travel Advisory

The Americana Hotel on 10th street had a carbon monoxide incident yesterday. Two people had to be taken to the hospital and the hotel was evacuated. The town of Ocean City has shut down the hotel until further notice. If any one had plans to stay there you may want to call or make alternative arrangements.

delmarvanow.com/article/20090812/NEWS01/9081…

Ocean Pines...
Level Contributor
885 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: American Hotel (10th St.) Travel Advisory

Sorry, the name of the hotel is actually AMERICANA.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Hotel (10th St.) Travel Advisory

Thanks for sharing. I thought that carbon monoxide detectors were going to be installed in Ocean City hotels/motels after what happened at the Days Inn a few years ago.

Ocean Pines...
Level Contributor
885 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: American Hotel (10th St.) Travel Advisory

sac,

Read the article I link to. All hotels and motels were supposed to have CO detectors installed by February 2009. This hotel appears to be in big trouble.

New York
Level Contributor
653 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Hotel (10th St.) Travel Advisory

First mink66 thank you for posting this information even though some who post here don't like this kind of story.

Heaven forbid we all live in reality and understand OC has its issues.

I have to wonder if the staff at Trip Advisor will find this type of information undesirable and delete this thread.

Recently, some have taken issue with the family of those two dead visitors several years ago from a CO leak in the hotel's plumbing system.

SOME have suggested there was greed and malicious intent on their part.

It would seem to me that this hotel DESPITE laws to the contrary failed to put the lives of guests ahead of their profit margin. The OC officials failed to enforce their own requirements under the law.

So the issue was NOT addressed. Those who died DID die in vain in the respect that the hotel operators and OC officials learned NOTHING and in some cases have done nothing to protect those who visit their businesses and town each year expecting a safe enviroment for their vacations.

This behavior by both the hotel (and ANY other hotels acting in a similar manner) and the OC town officials is a disgrace.

I can imagine many hotels will be scrambling to get the CO detectors installed from today on. The inspectors should be made to work DAY and NIGHT till each and every room is proven to have a CO detector installed and properly working.

People don't always do the right thing on their own.

New York
Level Contributor
653 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Hotel (10th St.) Travel Advisory

www.mdcoastdispatch.com/article.php…

I just have to wonder how many people need to die or get sick before the powers to be in OC take the needed actions to make sure THIS SORT OF INCIDENT NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN!

New York
Level Contributor
653 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Hotel (10th St.) Travel Advisory

Just had a thought, perhaps everyone planning to visit OC should ask if their condo/hotel rooms have a CO detector installed.

When you make reservations take the time to call the property directly and ask.

I would guess the Americana is NOT the only hotel/condo in violation of this ordinance.

Harpers Ferry
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: American Hotel (10th St.) Travel Advisory

I have reservations for there Sept 17 thru Sept 20 for bike week. Wonder what will happen. Do you think they will be shut down that long.

Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: American Hotel (10th St.) Travel Advisory

I plan on taking for CO detector from home with us to the condo we are staying.

dunmore pa
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: American Hotel (10th St.) Travel Advisory

Hi. I just came back from a long week in Oc. It has been on the news everyday several times a day. and the whole thing including the eateries and ice cream shops underneath are all closed and roped off. They are facing a huge fine as per the OCMDFD.

New York
Level Contributor
653 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Hotel (10th St.) Travel Advisory

www.mdcoastdispatch.com/article.php…

Sounds like when you fail to install CO detectors and in doing so put lives in danger that results in a $2,000 fine in OC.

Boy that law has some teeth to it.

The hotels in question have been in violation for 2 years!

How many people were put at risk by their failure to spend some money to protect lives?