We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I dip a toe in the water this weekend or what?

Philly, PA
Level Contributor
163 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Can I dip a toe in the water this weekend or what?

Looks like Jersey beaches have the water closed basically everywhere due to rough waters (Thanks Hurricane Bill). Just wondering if that's the case at OCMD or not.

Hagerstown, MD
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I dip a toe in the water this weekend or what?

Not as of yet, thinking about it

mdcoastaldispatch.d3corp.com/article.php…

Philly, PA
Level Contributor
163 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I dip a toe in the water this weekend or what?

Boo! I don't really want to "feet up" swim but I would like to wade in a bit. Here's me keeping my fingers crossed!

Ocean City
Level Contributor
339 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I dip a toe in the water this weekend or what?

I was in OC today. Beaches are officially "CLOSED", but lifeguards are there and you can be on the beach. People were wading, meaning walking along the edge of the surf. Concern is that there are ugly riptides that can't be detected until you are being drug on out into the open ocean, and it's unreasonable to expect the lifeguards to risk their lives. High tide around 10 am had covered the beach to the dune line at 107th Street, but by 2 pm there was usable beach open again.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I dip a toe in the water this weekend or what?

same was true today in dewey beach.

baffled me a bit...yesterday the water was ROUGH and i took a face-hit to the sand, trying to get the hell out of the water. that's not much fun when you're 60.

today LOOKED so calm, but they wouldn't let anybody IN! i'd expect the same thing tomorrow. musta been riptides, though i didn't see anything that looked like one...but who can tell?

Philly, PA
Level Contributor
163 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I dip a toe in the water this weekend or what?

Thanks guys!

We were able to swim on Saturday till about 12 (when the tide started going out) then we had to stay behind the lifeguard chairs. Since the water was so high we still got some wet despite the restriction which was fine since the waves were kicking. On Sunday they kept the waters open all day but they were still pretty rough. We saw 3 rescues in 2 hours and actively participated in one of them. Oh and my husband had his wedding ring yanked off and my girlfriend lost a necklace and toe ring. Ugh.

6. Re: Can I dip a toe in the water this weekend or what?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 07:29