We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need explanation of streets in relation to beach

Cleveland
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need explanation of streets in relation to beach

Hello!

Researching many hotels. Thanks to all who responded to my previous post. So we are looking at visiting OC in July and were hoping to stay oceanfront, perhaps on the boards, but most hotels are not within our budget! Sorry - looking forward to visiting OC, but rates are considerably higher than VB :( With that said, I have found some decent hotels within our range on Baltimore and Coastal Highway. Where are these roads in relation to the beachfront? Will we need to cross any main or busy streets? Also, is there an OC website that might have map with a layout of OC so I can get some ideas of where things are?

Reviews of Econolodge Oceanblock seem ok - has anyone stayed recently? Any other feedback, like is the beach visible from there?

Thanks so much - input is very appreciated!!

JB

Twinsburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need explanation of streets in relation to beach

Hi Julabear,

See the attached link for Ocean City maps. Baltimore Avenue Oceanside is where you want to be.

http://www.ocean-city.com/maps/local.shtml

Check out the Flamingo Hotel at 31st Street. The price may be in your budget, it is not far from the Boardwalk, and is across the street from Jolly Roger Amusement Park.

I have been to Ocean City and Virginia Beach. Yes, OC is more expensive but it is well worth the cost.

Good Luck !

Edited: 12 April 2010, 19:56
Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need explanation of streets in relation to beach

julabear,

Give us your budget (what you want to spend), dates for the week and let us help you find a place. There is so much to offer in OC that I'm sure you find is better than driving 8-10 hours.

An idea is click on www.ocean-city.com and select hotel reservation link, punch in dates and see whats available. We can go from there to discuss what hotels are available for your dates.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,036 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need explanation of streets in relation to beach

Another great site to find hotels is www.ococean.com, Ocean City's official website. There's a great search engine there.

Is there a reason you want to stay directly on the boardwalk? Ocean City is actually a 10 mile strip of beach and the boardwalk only takes up 3 of those 10 miles. Coastal Highway is the main highway that runs the length of OC and can be up to 6 lanes in spots, so anything that is bayside will require you to cross Coastal Hwy. to get to the ocean.

Have you considered a condo instead of a hotel? You'll find that a condo is a much more budget friendly option for vacationers. Anything oceanfront, oceanside, or oceanblock will give you easy access to the beach without crossing the highway. The advantages of a condo are that you aren't crammed into one room and you don't have to eat every meal out or have to worry about getting out so the maid can clean. Much more private. The downside is that you have to supply your own linens, but most units come with a washer and dryer, so you can just toss them in when you get time. You can check out some of the available condos at www.holidayoc.com or www.cbvacations.com .

The boardwalk runs from the inlet to 28th St. The majority of the shops and amusements are on the southern, or inlet end. The further north you go on the boards the fewer the shops and more hotels and condos. But there is a tram that you can ride that runs the entire length of the boardwalk and back.

You could try the Dunes Motel or the Dunes Manor Hotel. Both are located on the beach next to each other at the northernmost end of the boardwalk, but not directly ON the boardwalk. The motel is adjacent to the boardwalk tram, the hotel just a block away. Both are very nice and convenient to restaurants. No matter which part of Ocean City you stay in, it's an easy drive to the boardwalk and ample parking at the inlet or any of the adjacent streets. Or you can ride the public bus for $2.00 for a full day pass.

There are lots of nice hotels in Ocean City, but July is peak season, so the rates are always higher than late August and early September.

Like Julabear said, let us know your dates and budget and we'll try and give you a hand.

Edited: 13 April 2010, 01:02
Phoenix
Level Contributor
454 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need explanation of streets in relation to beach

Try this Google map of OC. Click on "hybrid" in the upper right and it'll show actual buildings. Then zoom in with the slider to the left.

http://ococean.com/maps

dunmore pa
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need explanation of streets in relation to beach

hello. As long as your not staying bayside you dont have to cross busy Coastal highway. Baltimore Ave is Ocean side. You are ok. Check out this place and ask for pool view www.saharamotel.com or 1-800-638-1600. Also www.ocmotels.com These are less expensive ocean side properties. Also a real nice place for less money with a wonderful staff is harrison Hall right on the boardwalk. 1-800-837-3589. Call them. have a nice time.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need explanation of streets in relation to beach

Thanks so much all!! Still doing much research and now including some condo's. Surprised to see that some condos are better priced than hotels - always assumed they would be more $$. I know there's hotel reviews to the left on this page. How do I get reviews on rental companies/units? Looking at units at ocvacations.com and shorepro.

Thanks again! As I have more questions, I'll keeping on bugging all of you! Thanks for the help.

JB

nj
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need explanation of streets in relation to beach

Hi Julabear. I have rented from cbvacations, long and foster and Shorepro without any problems. I have never used ocvacations. Remember when you see the price of the condo that there are a lot of other fees that aren't included that generally add up to a couple of hundred dollars more then the price the realtor is quoting. I still have always fel the condo is a better value.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need explanation of streets in relation to beach

Thanks gometsgo, you are correct. This year I was looking into a condo for the first time and realized you pay the same amount with a hotel down near the boardwalk. So many hidden fees (condo fee, realitor fee, parking fee, registgration fee) its mind blowing. Not to discourage condos in OC, but you really don't save much more money.

Pick a location in OC which all of OC is good and go from there. And what I mean is do you want to be near the main part of OC (amusement,shops,boardwalk) or do you want a to be near the quieter more relaxed area(northern OC)?

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,036 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need explanation of streets in relation to beach

Wow! I don't know who you guys book with but in the 20some years we've been vacationing in OC we've NEVER paid a fee to park or anything other than taxes and a security deposit which is always refunded within a month after our vacation. I'd use different realtors if I were you. I use Holiday Real Estate and Coldwell Banker.

Don't get scared off by these guys saying there are all these fees!

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need explanation of streets in relation to beach

Both Holiday Real Estate and Coldwell Banker have extra fees. Not all condo rentals have parking fees but the ones I was looking into did. $30 bucks to park your car at their condo!!

Get answers to your questions about Ocean City