We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice Cream = Vacation

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albany NY
Level Contributor
475 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Ice Cream = Vacation

Okay...my husband is a firm believer of ice cream on vacation. For the past couple of years this means the first vacation ice cream is before noon at a NJ Turnpike rest stop.

While we've gotten ice cream at the usual spots in Ocean City (Kohr, Dumsers, etc.), we were wondering if there were any local places that make their own ice cream? It doesn't have to be in Ocean City -- we're willing to venture out if the ice cream is homemade and unique -- or even above average.

Thanks!

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
201 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ice Cream = Vacation

If your husband really likes ice cream, he might want to go to King Kone, 144th street, eat the King Kone special banana split, and have his name added to the "Hall of Fame" ice cream eaters. Tell him not to eat all day and he can do it.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ice Cream = Vacation

A man after my own heart. My kids went to annies bananies and said it was great.

yelp.com/biz/annies-bananies-rehoboth-beach

Also, if you search for ice cream and rehoboth, there are a number of homemade type places that pop up. Not sure of any in OC.--but I could be wrong.

maryland
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ice Cream = Vacation

King Kone is a great idea!

We like to go to Chesapeake Bay Farms for AWESOME ice cream.

www.chesapeakebaycheese.com

They are a dairy farm and make all of their ice cream from scratch. Chesapeake Bay Farms located about 10-15 minutes outside of Ocean City on Route 50 West in Berlin. It would be worth the short drive!

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
203 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ice Cream = Vacation

There is a new ice cream shop on Rt. 54 in Fenwich Island, which is a short drive from OC. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds wonderful. The ice cream is made locally with ingredients from local suppliers. Here' s the link. If you try it, post back with a review! :) http://thebluescoop.com/site/

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
203 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ice Cream = Vacation

I just wanted to report back. We visited Blue Scoop this weekend (see previous post) and it was very, very good. Well worth the trip to Fenwick. Lots of varieties of local, homemade ice cream. The owner and staff were very friendly and welcoming and the business is committed to being green.

Albany NY
Level Contributor
475 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ice Cream = Vacation

I just looked at the Blue Scoop's site. Does anyone know if they are open after Labor Day? We don't go to the beach until mid-September.

With all the suggestions we've received I think we'll try hitting a different place every day. That's what vacation is for!

Albany NY
Level Contributor
475 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ice Cream = Vacation

We were in Ocean City last week.

Sunday we went to Chesapeake Bay Farms to get ice cream and cheese. Both were very good. The day was dreary and we spent some time talking to the high school student working there when he came out to feed the calves they have there.

Tuesday we tried to go for ice cream again. Both Blue Scoop and King Kone were closed. Friday we did make it back to Blue Scoop and that ice cream was amazing. Definitely worth the drive (I think they are closed on Monday and Tuesday now).

King Kone will have to wait for another trip. We had ice cream at several other typical OC places as well.

MD
Level Contributor
69 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ice Cream = Vacation

This isn't homemade ice cream but it's definitely good - Tubby's makes an AWESOME brownie sundae. Ice cream, brownie, chocolate, whipped cream - wow big enough to feed two or in my case, my dinner!

9. Re: Ice Cream = Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 04:16