We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st street bad section of town? Sleep Inn on Baltimore

St. George, Utah
Level Contributor
240 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
1st street bad section of town? Sleep Inn on Baltimore

We are trying to gather info on the Sleep Inn on Baltimore Ave. I have heard that this is a 'bad' part of town but the hotel looks good.

Has anyone stayed there? Is it hard to get to the beach? Is it a bad section of town?

Thanks for any help.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st street bad section of town? Sleep Inn on Baltimore

What? It is the best part of OC. Your close to the main part of the boardwalk, walking distance to the amusement rides, arcades, shops, food and so on. OC is a narrow strip island and all of it is a "good section" of town. Now far as the Sleep Inn, haven't stayed there yet but I do have a room booked in September. It's a new hotel built last year so you should be fine. Enjoy your stay with no worries.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st street bad section of town? Sleep Inn on Baltimore

Link to the reviews for the Sleep Inn, pretty good so far.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g41298-d1500563…

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st street bad section of town? Sleep Inn on Baltimore

I agree with tfunky that is my favorite part of town. We always stay on the boardwalk.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,823 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st street bad section of town? Sleep Inn on Baltimore

It is crowded and may be loud well into the night, but it's not bad unless those are things you want to avoid. Like others have said, it's right in the middle of all the action.

West Mifflin PA
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st street bad section of town? Sleep Inn on Baltimore

I think the key is knowing what to expect and matching it to what your wants are, and your past experiences on what makes a wonderful vacation. For some it is being right in the mix of things on the boardwalk, for others it is staying further away from all the action for a more quieter type of vacation. The furthest down we ever stayed was 17th st, but we liked staying out of the congestion and the hubbub, but being close enough to it to participate if need be. As OC exploded on the scene and the building boom commenced, we found ourselves on 45th st by the early 80"s. Now that I am a father, we have stayed as high up as 130th st but for the last couple have found a place on 30th st that really seems to meet our needs. Close enough to the action but still relatively quiet and away from the crowds....but that is what I want out of a vacation. Yours wants/needs might be different. Thats one of the draws of OC, I believe....it can be many different things to many different people and with a little planning, anyone can get what they want out of the town and its ammenities and have a fantastic vacation.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st street bad section of town? Sleep Inn on Baltimore

I think that SWT's description is about as perfect as I have seen. It just depends on who you are and what you want. It could be perfect or not, which is no different than the answer to any other location.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st street bad section of town? Sleep Inn on Baltimore

The last two comments I agree 100%. I just dont see how some posters can dislead or write things that are not true. Everyone should have the right to post what they feel gives them the best vacation and to help others achieve the same goal. But not to say a place is gross, sucks or damage a establishment's reputation just because he/she doesn't care for that place.

I try to give my opinion on what my family likes in OC but of course others could like something else. You have to be honest in what you write but also fair and polite in a way.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st street bad section of town? Sleep Inn on Baltimore

I agree the last few comments are perfect. I for one would not want to be down with all the action. Stayed down there last Memorial weekend and the noise was to much for me.I like the area around 28Th St north.Close enough to the action but quite enough for my liking. Everybody as their own preference.

New York
Level Contributor
667 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st street bad section of town? Sleep Inn on Baltimore

I have always found it amazing that some people can give advice as to where people should stay when they have no idea what that person is looking for, when they will be visiting, what sort of vacation time are they looking for, or anything else about that person other than what THEY themselves find most desirable.

Cheap and clean: My idea of cheap and clean sure can be different from just about everyone else's. Where I am willing to stay and what I wish to pay per night might be quite different from anyone else.

Ocean City runs from the inlet up to 144th street. In every area you have hotel rooms, condos, restaurants, and attractions what do the folks staying on the Boardwalk know that the folks staying on the bayside on 60th street not know? Or is it any place off the Boardwalk is less desirable?

I have visited OC for more than 30 years never once have I stayed directly on the Boardwalk. I visit there during the day or perhaps at night and then prefer to spend my nights in some other part of town. Does that mean I've missed out on something? Hardly.

If the person asking suggests they WANT to stay on the Boardwalk then I would suggest some hotels located there. If they would prefer oceanfront I would make some suggestion there. I would never presume that MY idea of the perfect location should and would be perfection for everyone else.

OC is a big town with many options as to where visitors might stay, to limit that in any way due to one's own opinion and desires does not serve those seeking information well. IMO

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
614 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st street bad section of town? Sleep Inn on Baltimore

Also, "bad' for the most part is in the eye of the beholder.

For example, I was raised in a big city. You know, murders, robberies,etc.. To me that's "bad".

On the other hand, if a person's from a small town or a suburban area drunks making noise, motorcycles, cars racing up the street could be "bad".In fact I remember a person complaining on this forum about a firetruck going up the street at 2 in the morning.

To answer your question that area is "very safe".

Get answers to your questions about Ocean City