We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Erosion

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Erosion

Does anyone know if either OC Beach or Assateague Island had beach erosion from last year's hurricaine season? I think I remember this area getting hit right after we left last August and we'll be returning to OC in a few weeks and was just curious. Thanks!

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Erosion

I visit OC all year. I actually love being down there during the big winter storms. This winter was brutal. We got close to a foot of snow twice which is very unusual on the coast. The "warm" ocean temperature usually keeps most of the snow inland and changes to mostly rain on the coast. The storms really did a number on the beaches this winter but by the time April/May came around they pretty much returned to their usual states. Some of the dunes were damaged and rebuilt but the beach is as beautiful as ever right now. Enjoy yourself.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Erosion

I've found the erosion to differ depending where you are in OC.

I was on 16th street recently and there was a slight drop off from the beach to the water but on 43rd street, it was a long, gradual beach with no drop off.

I also think it depends on the tide and currents too.

All in all, the beaches are in very good condition.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Erosion

Thanks for the feedback....regardless, I am looking forward to another great vacation to OC in a few weeks!

Albany NY
Level Contributor
485 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Erosion

Spangaroo -- Do you make the drive in one trip or do you stop along the way? I'm also coming from Albany (well...East Greenbush). On the way home we do the drive in one day, but on the way we leave on Friday and stop in New Jersey overnight simply because I am not happy in the morning and it seems to take forever to pack the car to leave home. The drive itself isn't bad, but I hate the whole process of packing the car.

Thanks!

Edited: 23 July 2010, 16:51
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Erosion

GET OUT OF TOWN! We live in East Greenbush also...too wierd! Anyway, we leave around 6PM on a Thursday, travel to lower New Jersey and stop at the rest stop and sleep in camper. Then we get up around 5:30-6am and finish the ride. It really makes for a long day especially when you work the day you leave. The trip home however, we leave around 9-10am and go straight through. So much to do when you get home, the earlier the better! I'm pretty much a life long resident of good ol EG!

6. Re: Beach Erosion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2011, 07:23
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City