We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A hotel trend that I do not like!

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
A hotel trend that I do not like!

I've noticed more and more hotels are allowing non hotel guest to use their pools. I just came back from our vacation at Tidelands and they advertise that their pool and pool bar is open to the public. At first I thought this would be okay but during the days all chairs are taken and the pool is standing room only. You can't enjoy the pool at all. They have a roof top pool but thats packed also because other hotels guest are using the pool bar pool forcing all Tidelands guest to the roof top pool. Very dissapointed in Tidelands which I praised in the past but not now.

I know for fact that the Ambassador Hotel (sister hotel) pool is the Tidelands (they tell you to go to Tidelands) and the Hampton ocean front hotel does the same too.

Its a trend the other hotels are doing if they have a pool bar/restaurant on site to generate more cash.

I do not like it at all.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A hotel trend that I do not like!

I don't blame you - when we go to OC one of our criteria is a pool and it would be disappointing not to be able to use it.

Parma, Ohio
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A hotel trend that I do not like!

We were disappointed to not find a condo with a pool in our price range near our friends on 44th, since there are no Y's or "public" pools in OC. I didn't know the hotels opened up their pools to the public. Anyway I found that we didn't even miss it! Our daughter was having fun in the ocean with her friends! There were some pretty high winds last week and a few waves really knocked her around, but she never even mentioned looking for a pool. I can see how a hotel pool made crowded with the general public can be frustrating to those who paid to stay in a hotel with a pool. Do you think if the hotel charged a fee for the public to use, it would have been more tolerable? I am only asking b/c I know initially a pool option was really important to us in case our daughter wanted to be able to use a pool. Even though she was happy in the ocean, it would have been nice to know that option was available, and we would have paid a fee if necessary if that would help to deter big crowds. Also - some of the hotel pools I could see when we were on the boardwalk were really small!

So glad we didn't need a pool. Sorry your experience was so frustrating.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A hotel trend that I do not like!

We like the ocean too and stay a good bit there but sometimes we plan a day at the pool to break up the routeen. Also sometimes after dinner we hit the pool to relax.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A hotel trend that I do not like!

Do you think this is something they do all the time? Or perhaps it was only because of the extreme heat? If it was because of the heat, then I think they should be commended.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A hotel trend that I do not like!

No momoo, they have a huge sign outside the pool stating "open to the public". I also seen similar signs at other hotels too.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A hotel trend that I do not like!

tfunky....that's BS. I'm like you, mostly use the beach but if you choose a hotel with a pool then the pool should be available to guest only. There is a reason they hire architects to design these hotels.......the pool is sized to handle the hotel guests and I guarantee in July/August it would be crowded even if it was guest only. What are these guys thinking?

I wonder if they are even allowed to open their pool to the public. I would bet the regs for a public pool are different than a private pool.

Massillon, OH
Level Contributor
176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A hotel trend that I do not like!

I think the hotels are openings their pools to making MORE money through beer and snack/food sells! Why else would they do it??? I'm wondering if these pools have LIFEGUARDS?? Are any laws being broken if the pools are unguarded? I know OC has fairly strict laws hotel owners are suppose to follow.

terrapin05
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A hotel trend that I do not like!

I agree and would probably be upset if I rented a room and the pool was jam packed all day long....but I guess at the end of the day the chance at making money on alcohol and food trumps having a nice quiet stay for their patrons. I can't imagine the cost of insurance on an outdoor pool in OC, plus the staff during peak season and entertainment they probably have at the pool bar. Something they probably have to do to generate a return. I'm sure there are some private pools without pool bars.

9. Re: A hotel trend that I do not like!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2011, 06:17