We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Bay Beach to swim at when the surf is rough?

New York
Level Contributor
937 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Best Bay Beach to swim at when the surf is rough?

We're staying at Assateague State Park & sometimes the surf is too rough for our little guy. Is there a bayside beach we can go to on days like this? Thanks.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Bay Beach to swim at when the surf is rough?

Assateague is an Island and there is a bayside to the Island. I have nevered stayed there but I have beached a boat there a few times and hung out on the bayside.

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Bay Beach to swim at when the surf is rough?

To the best of my knowledge there are no swimmable bayside beaches.

Edited: 27 July 2010, 19:49
Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Bay Beach to swim at when the surf is rough?

My comment above is regarding OC. Sorry.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,823 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Bay Beach to swim at when the surf is rough?

The bay is swarming with jellyfish right now. You wouldn't want to get in even if there were bayside beaches.

Ocean Pines...
Level Contributor
885 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Bay Beach to swim at when the surf is rough?

You can try this spot.

www.bing.com/maps/…

It's adoringly referred to as Stinky beach. I think a long time ago there used to a trash heap in the area. That's ancient history now, and today the small beach area is a virtual secret. It's very near the inlet, so the water gets flushed in and out very often and there is really no need to worry about an abundance of jelly fish in this area. You park where those red vehicles are parked and you can hang out on the beach area where the rock wall is or venture a little further over and get play along the water's edge. Be aware though that there is a lot of boat traffic in this area and the main channel for all the large charter fishing boats to get into the Ocean City Fishing Center/Micky Fin's is located right along this beach front, so the water gets deep very quickly.

The only other spot I can think of by car in West OC is here:

www.bing.com/maps/…

A lot of less boat traffic, and much shallower, but it is further into the bay so there is greater chance of encountering more jelly fish at this spot.

Edited: 28 July 2010, 02:27
gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Bay Beach to swim at when the surf is rough?

Wading is great at Old Ferry Landing over on the national park side at Assateague. We were just there on Friday and lots of people were there crabbing, clamming, and attending programs. It's not really that deep, but would be good for children. We saw no jellyfish--and we waded pretty far out during the clamming program! You will need to pay the $15 for a week's worth of access to the national park. Check the schedule at the visitor's center for their programs, as there are many that appeal to children. It's a great place to visit!

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
614 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Bay Beach to swim at when the surf is rough?

I really wouldn't recommend swimming in the bay.

West Mifflin PA
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Bay Beach to swim at when the surf is rough?

My thoughts exactly.

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Bay Beach to swim at when the surf is rough?

Staying in a bay-front home end of August. Had planned on swimming off the dock there. Why do you find it objectionable?

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
614 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Bay Beach to swim at when the surf is rough?

1. Uneven bottom that changes after every storm. (there's a 40 ft hole behind the convention Center)

2. A lot of areas are backfilled with rocks, concrete with re-bar,etc.(especially near newer developments)

3. Jellyfish

4. Dummies on jetskis.

5. Dangerous currents.

6. Broken beer bottles.

Take your pick.

Get answers to your questions about Ocean City