We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having trouble picking a hotel...first time to OC MD

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cochranville...
Level Contributor
156 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Having trouble picking a hotel...first time to OC MD

Hi there. I've only been to OC for evening visits when we've stayed in Rehoboth. That's our usual weekend shore location. This year I'm looking at staying in OC for Labor Day, which I know is booking up quickly. It's been several years since I've even been to OC, so I'm pretty clueless as to where to stay. We're a family of four, kids are 9 and 11. I'd like to be close to the boardwalk, possibly on it. I've had recommendations for the Princess Royale, however that just seems so far away from the boardwalk for a weekend.

Other places that have availibilty as of now that seem to fit the bill are the Grand Hotel, Park Place and Quality Inn Boardwalk. All are on the Boardwalk, just at different locations. What are the pros and cons? At the Quality and Grand we can get ocean view or ocean front, but at Park Place only Bay View, which seems to be street view to me. However Park Place gets consistently the best views on here. All are priced pretty much the same. I'd like to have an outdoor pool.

Does anyone have any opinions as to which may be the best choice for us? Or any suggestions as to someplace I've overlooked? Which location may be the best? We really would like the convenience of beachfront, near the boardwalk but not a lot of crowds or noise if possible which is why I was thinking the Grand might be better since it's at the end of the boardwalk.

Thanks for the help!

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having trouble picking a hotel...first time to OC MD

I know the Grand and Park Place are very nice hotels. Either one of them will do you find. The Grand is up on 21st St and Park Place is on 3rd.

Don't worry about the crowd noise from the boardwalk, thats a old wise tail that's not true. I've stayed at many ocean front rooms and never had a issue with noise coming from the boardwalk.

Edited: 12 August 2010, 01:26
York, PA
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Having trouble picking a hotel...first time to OC MD

We've stayed at the Quality Inn Boardwalk many times and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others. It has two large outdoor pools as well as an indoor pool and hot tub. The "premium oceanfront" rooms are worth the extra money. The rooms are spacious and most have a private balcony overlooking the ocean. We prefer to stay in the tower building. The hotel is older but has been nicely updated over the past seven years. The indoor pool area looks so much better-it was really outdated! The staff members are friendly and helpful. I am not familiar with the Park Place, so I won't comment on that. I did look around in the Grand when it opened in 2001 and wasn't too impressed. The balconies are not private, probably so that the hotel can say that all of its rooms have a view of the ocean. It isn't anything special but it is certainly a huge improvement over the previous Stowaway hotel, which was dirty and dumpy.

Level Contributor
81 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having trouble picking a hotel...first time to OC MD

I feel like I am giving up a secret place every time I suggest something on here. Well here is another one. Check out the Spinnaker on 18th street. All rooms are efficiency type with nice balcony and good view( go for the north side for the best view) availiability might be tough. Check out as soon as possible. Rooms are clean with 2 beds and a pull out bed in couch. Reasonable prices too. A very short walk to beach and boardwalk( it is like 25 yards away, no streets to cross.) 18th street is quite too. This year will be our 4th time staying at the Spinnaker. Oh ya, they have a huge sun deck and a clean pool also. Sorry about the rambling, I am excited, we leave on friday for 8 nights in OC at the spinnaker!!!! Have fun!!

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having trouble picking a hotel...first time to OC MD

We've stayed at the Grand several times and it is nice. BUT it is a very long walk to the end of the boardwalk where all of the rides and games are located. And the tram will run through labor day, but not after so if you're staying Labor Day week, you'll only have the tram available through Monday.The Grand is on 21st St so you have 21 blocks there, plus the extra 8 or so blocks past that to the inlet rides, etc.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Having trouble picking a hotel...first time to OC MD

I have always stayed at the Holidat Inn all suites on the boardwalk at 17th. The rooms and amenities are great as well as the location. You will not be disappointed

MD
Level Contributor
69 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Having trouble picking a hotel...first time to OC MD

I would highly recommend Park Place or Holiday Inn Boardwalk. If you don't mind moving a little further up the boardwalk, check out Holiday Inn Suites, Dunes Manor or Hilton (all oceanfront). The other alternative to save some money ont he hotel, Thunderbird is a reasonably priced, clean and well staffed motel. You don't get all the bells and whistles of the newer hotels, but I prefer spending less on a hotel when I don't get to use all the amenities.

7. Re: Having trouble picking a hotel...first time to OC MD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 07:18