We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay outside of OC?

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay outside of OC?

We are planning a trip to OC at the end of August, mainly for the food and Assategue Island; Hotels at OC beach front seems to have expensive; the last time we stayed at a hotel at Salisbury. Is there any other town, city near by we should check out?

We will be coming from Philly area.

Thanks.

Pittsburgh PA
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay outside of OC?

You mean the last time you did this you stayed in a hotel 30 miles away to save money??????????

That means you did a minimum of 60 miles a day while on vacation - Sorry but I wouldn't do this if the hotel was FREE.

My advice would be spend a couple of extra bucks (and that's probably all we are talking difference here) and stay in West Ocean City at least. Francis Scott Key Hotel would be a good start.

Ocean City
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay outside of OC?

Rates drop in mid August, and are lower yet in September. I wouldn't stay outside of OC; would look around and check ratings here for oceanside/bayside places. I'd pay a little more to look out the window and see water.

maryland
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay outside of OC?

There are two hotels in West Ocean City that you should check the rates on... Francis Scott Key and Comfort Suites, There is nothing else closer than Salisbury. With that being said you should do some searching around Ocean City. Yes, ocean front hotels are higher but there are other hotels that are set farther back and would be more affordable.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
194 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay outside of OC?

You might want to consider renting a house in Ocean Pines. There are several on vrbo.com that are very reasonable.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay outside of OC?

There are some places on Rte 50 right outside of OC. Francis Scott Key is lovely. The Comfort Suites. The Bedtime Inn is very inexpensive. And all three are closer to Assateague.

Plus with all of the crime in Salisbury these days, you couldn't pay me to stay there.

There are more hotels on 50 than just these 3, but those are the three best.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay outside of OC?

Try looking at Berlin, MD.

It's close to the road that will take you to Assateague and it's a quaint little town in its own right. Not sure if there will be many hotels there, other than the Atlantic Hotel, and I think that is pretty fancy.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay outside of OC?

Avoid the Alamo in West Ocean City. You would be better off sleeping in your car! The Comfort Suites looks nice. I believe it opened in the summer of 2004. The Francis Scott Key is great for families with children. They run a shuttle to the beach. The owner reads and responds to the reviews of the hotel on Trip Advisor. The Bedtime Inn is a typical motel-nothing special. Hope this helps!

Crofton, Maryland
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay outside of OC?

"Plus with all of the crime in Salisbury these days, you couldn't pay me to stay there. "

As someone who lives in Downtown Salisbury, that's just silly. You'd be perfectly safe staying in one of the (reputable) hotels in the city.

However, I agree with other posters that it doesn't make much sense to stay in Salisbury when it's kind of far for daily beach trips. West Ocean City is your best bet. There's also at least one hotel in Berlin, Md., or Ocean Pines, and possibly something in lower Delaware, such as Selbyville or Ocean View.

9. Re: Where to stay outside of OC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 05:18