We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Aug 26-29

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Aug 26-29

After a visit to Washington DC and Williamsburg, we ended our weeklong vacation in Ocean City. We were looking forward to some rest and relaxation and thought OC would fit the bill.

Unfortunately, we were generally disappointed with Ocean City and found ti to be the "Redneck Riviera". I expected some cheesy touristy places, but I also thought we'd find some quaintness. Having spent time all along the Jersey Shore, I was surprised to find Ocean City no different than Seaside Heights. (which is always been known as Sleaze-side)

There were a few highlights that were worth mentioning:

Dinner at Fishtales with my daughter was alot of fun and we loved the atmosphere and food at Sunset Grille for Dinner. For breakfast, Bayside Skillet was also great.

One morning we made the huge mistake of having breakfast at the Brass Balls Saloon.

The beach was "ok", but not nearly as clean as other beaches I have been too.

On the way back home, we drove through Bethany Beach and think that probably would have been a better place for us to go.

Ocean City, Maryland
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Aug 26-29

Yes I think perhaps you'd be better off somewhere else.

Ocean Pines...
Level Contributor
885 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Aug 26-29

Yes, when all of your other posts revolve around the French Riviera, Nice, and Belize, Ocean City, MD will never compare. Not sure what you were expecting, but except for Miami Beach in the USA, where a lot of Europeans tend to frequent, I don't know how you compare. Next time stay in Europe!

Edited: 06 September 2010, 06:01
pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Aug 26-29

Yep! Gotta watch out fer us rednecks! We'ze all a buncha lo lifers. Way neeth the likes of younz.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Aug 26-29

Euro-trash seeks its own level.

NJ
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Aug 26-29

There are PLENTY of NICE Beach towns/areas in the US: The Outer Banks of NC, parts of the Jersey Shore, Cape Cod, Florida, parts of Southern California.

Unfortunately, Ocean City is simply not in the same league as any of them.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
201 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Aug 26-29

I just got to jump in here. I've been to Cape Cod,Cocoa Beach, Florida, and NC beaches many times, as well as the west coast of CA. I really don't know what people are talking about when they say how great those beaches are. I'm not gong to go into it in detail but many of those beaches have been cold, windy and a lot dirtier than OC. Bethany is very narrow and usually has a bad shore break. I've traveled to many beaches (it's my hobby) and as far as the U.S. goes, OC is by far one of the best!

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Aug 26-29

Sounds like someone from Jersey is ticked off that OC is taking alot of their business away. There are thousands of New Yorkers and Jerseyites that ride right past the Jersy "shore" every week and go another three hours to go to a REAL beach. Please don't compare the Jersey Shore to OC. Water quality....things to do for everyone...the beaches themselves......Jersey does have OC beat in one category.........they have much more medical waste washing up on their shores. So......you got that going for you!!!

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
351 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Aug 26-29

Nice responses! So what if someone doesn't happen to like OC? Are they not entitled to their opinion? We love OC and compare it to all other beaches we visit. There is generally something for everyone, but then again it doesn't fit everyone's bill. We don't like Atlantic City or Belmar Beach, so we just don't go back there and they probably don't miss us! Could we try to stay positive in defending OC! It comes across a little better to those thinking of visiting.

Looking forward to the responses I will get with this post.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
404 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Aug 26-29

dgrson - I totally agree - Don't like the attitiude of some on here when heaven forbid someone says something negative about OC

Everyone's entitled to their opinion

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
84 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Aug 26-29

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but redneck riviera? I have been to a few different beaches in my day as well. Including outer banks and Belmar beach in NJ. The fact that we go to OC every year shows where my vote goes.

I think that it is hard to evaluate an entire community based on a few days or even 1 week. I always heard how remarkably clean Toronto is. We saw Phantom there a few years back and I thought the city was filthy with litter. Bad day. It happens.

DE beaches are more quiet, better worse whatever but more quiet.

brianpa