We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November in OC - restaurants, things to do during the week?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
November in OC - restaurants, things to do during the week?

Hi there,

My family and I are meeting for Thanksgiving in OC (from Mon 11/22 through Fri 11/26.) We are 6 adults and 2 children (9 and 1.5 years old.) Any recommendations on good places to eat that are open? (Not just dinner - breakfast, lunch, ice cream, etc, recommendations would be very much appreciated.)

Also, I have been reading about Winterfest and I know there's an indoor mini-golf place we went to around 68th St last time we were in town. Any other things we should see/do while we are there?

One last question, we're staying at the HI at 17th St. What are the closest/best grocery stores nearby so we can buy all of our Thanksgiving supplies?

Thanks!

terrapin05
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: November in OC - restaurants, things to do during the week?

Best bet for grocery stores, Food Lion or Super Fresh in West OC just before you go across the inlet bridge. Minit Market on 33rd should also still be open. They're a small market with meats and deli and groceries. Some of the other smaller markets may be closed for offseason.

You may have to wait til you get there to see what is really open. Last year was the first year even some of the bigger, popular restaurants closed certain days between Monday to Wednesday. Lots of the big crab houses are also closed during offseason. Grab some newspapers when you get to town and see what's going on is what we do during offseason.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November in OC - restaurants, things to do during the week?

Great advice - thanks so much for posting!

Albany NY
Level Contributor
477 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November in OC - restaurants, things to do during the week?

I'm assuming it will still be open -- we loved the ice cream at the Blue Scoop up in Delaware. It is in the Harris Teeter Plaza. As soon as you cross over to Delaware on Coastal Highway, make a left onto Route 54. The Harris Teeter plaza is a 10-minute drive or so from there.

Besides the indoor mini golf on 67th, there is another one in the northern part of town now.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November in OC - restaurants, things to do during the week?

A good thing to do when you get into town is stop at the Convention Center at the Visitor's Center and pick up some of the free newspapers. You'll find all the sales and events, what's open and what entertainment might be around. The Holiday Inn also has a small area with those things and some coupons available in the lobby by the check in desk. Of course, you can eat inside the hotel at any time. We enjoy having breakfast there. For lunch, head up to BJ's on the Water and ask for a seat in their sunroom. They feed the ducks and geese at 1 p.m. daily and your kids might enjoy that.

Dumser's is definitely the place for ice cream, but you can also get meals there any time of day. There is an indoor mini golf course on 68th St. and they opened a new one this year on 136th St. Your kids might also enjoy ice skating at the Carousel. It's indoors and they have skates available to rent in all sizes, plus they have "helpers" for novice skaters or grown ups who are afraid of breaking something. :)

I think Planet Maze (laser tag) is still open till the end of the year. And the Life Saving museum has limited hours, but may be open while you're there. It's a small fee, but well worth it. The kids might get a chuckle out of Laughing Betty upstairs.

As for stores, I'd stick with the Food Lion over the Super Fresh. There is also a Wal Mart across the rte 50 bridge and up a few miles on the left.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Salisbury MD
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November in OC - restaurants, things to do during the week?

If you have a free morning or afternoon, you may want to drive about 25 miles west to Salisbury and take the children to the Zoo. It's free and has very interesting animal exhibits, as well as an educational building. Check the schedule to see if any programs are being held. At the west end of the zoo is a wonderful playground, called Ben's Red Swings.

If you want to stay for a meal, close by, check out Goin' Nuts. "Their prime rib sandwich is fantastic.

Edited: 10 November 2010, 04:06
6. Re: November in OC - restaurants, things to do during the week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City
Recent Conversations