We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Island, Great homes horrible atmosphere and respect

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth Meeting...
Level Contributor
3 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Island, Great homes horrible atmosphere and respect

Well I have stayed in Sunset Island a bunch of times and this last time I was pretty offended with how we were treated at every turn. First, we rented a home that sleeps 12+ and are forced to pay for pool and gym passes but we only get 6. Then I take my son to the pool and they kick us out because he is 18 months old and not 2 yet. They tell us "kiddie pool only" and when I ask why I get the typical unintelligent response of well thats the rule. If you are going to have to pay for passes you should be told the rules ahead of time. Not to mention we were never told that we had to pay for these passes until we got there so Central Reservations did a pretty terrible job on that one. Then someone in our group left something in our rental and we called back to the guard house to see if they can contact the new people staying there and they claim to not have contact info on the homes. Well thats pretty odd since when you check in you get a parking pass and they take your name and phone number. We were yelled at twice for having CONVERSATIONS on the deck past 10pm. It was one annoying slap in the face after another. The homes are great but the way you are treated by the people in the community is terrible.

2 Shore point drive also has the biggest jerk for an owner you can imagine. The list of rules we were given was so long there should have been a class to teach the renters. We are grown ups not a bunch of frat boys and we were treated like children at every turn. Its still a great place to stay but just get ready to be annoyed.

Western Maryland
Level Contributor
247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Island, Great homes horrible atmosphere and respect

Well, just remember that these people paid hundreds of thousands of dollars more than they are worth today. Many have simply walked away or are trying to short sell. I can imagine I'd be pretty grumpy as well. Plus, if I remember correctly, Ryan Homes built them so they're probably starting to fall apart. Sorry to hear about your trip. I'm sure the rent wasn't cheap.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Island, Great homes horrible atmosphere and respect

Remember your renters in a residential community and are looked at as 2nd class citizens.

Plymouth Meeting...
Level Contributor
3 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Island, Great homes horrible atmosphere and respect

I do agree with what both of you have said. I just never had this experience there until this year and I think thats what made it doubly frustrating. If I lived in that community year round and was told I couldnt have a one on one conversation with someone on my deck I would lose my mind.

I think they need to figure out who they want to cater to. If they dont want all these renters then the association can limit the number of homes that are allowed to be rented out. I am also a realtor and I know that it is a common practice in many other communities. Also as a realtor I know how much the people at the rental company just made off of me so get up off your lazy butt and go pick up the stuff that was left there instead of waiting for the new renters to steal/destroy it.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Island, Great homes horrible atmosphere and respect

Temple....we have a condo in one of the premier buildings and do not rent it. About half the people do rent their units. SOME of the non-renters have such an attitude toward renters. They think they are better than the renters. They actually go out of their way to look for trouble. Guess it makes them feel better about themselves to try and belittle others.

On the other hand SOME renters treat the place (including common areas) like crap. Destroying property, being loud and obnoxious and basically acting with an attitude that "we spent 4 grand for a week, we can do anything we want". I can tell by your email that you do not fit into that category.

We have another unit that we do rent out in another building and we usually get the same repeat renters every year. The ideal situation is to find a unit that you like and try to get it every year. I'm sure there are some great homes and areas of Sunset Island where you are respected and where you can actually enjoy the outside deck. Next time tell the realtor the problems you ran into this year and maybe he can suggest a better option.

Plymouth Meeting...
Level Contributor
3 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Island, Great homes horrible atmosphere and respect

Yeah thats a great recommendation. We had one that we did like and planned to repeat renting it just wasn't big enough for us this time. We had 12 adults plus a baby. My issue was probably more with some of the "community rules" than the moron we rented from as well as the rental company. There were too many things that should have been said up front that we didnt find out until we got there. Things that would have made us choose a different place.

I should point out I do love Sunset Island and had a pretty good vacation. This year just seemed a lot different than the last 4 or so. Telling me I can't bring my son in the pool with me really sent me through the roof and then to be told that the manager doesn't know why he can't go in there is insane. That is one thing I work with my employees on all the time. Explain things to people so they aren't as upset and can understand where you are coming from.

downingtown, pa
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Island, Great homes horrible atmosphere and respect

Just a question, because the age limit of 2 seems odd, with a responsible parent in tow...was it a question of the baby wearing a swim diaper? That I can understand...

Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Island, Great homes horrible atmosphere and respect

We are looking to to go to Sunset Island and I was wondering if it was a good place to take a 2.5 year old and a 18 month old.

Are they not allowed in that big pool pictured online?

Also, is it a far walk to the beaches/pool if you arent staying in the upper left hand corner of the map? (Sorry, thats all I can reference right now).

c c
Westminster...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Island, Great homes horrible atmosphere and respect

They have a great set up for families. But they do not allow children under 2 in the outdoor pool or in the interactive ountains. They do have a wonderful 1 ft. deep baby pool for little ones and an indoor pool that all babies can enter as well. They require swim diapers and provide disposable rubber pants as well. Both are required. My issue is the horrible smell that wafts from the sewage plant next door! It comes without warning and makes some of us sick. NOT funny after the third cloud of fumes hit you. It is about .42 mile to the beach, but they have a bay side beach that is great for that age group and it is minutes from any unit. Just do your research.

9. Re: Sunset Island, Great homes horrible atmosphere and respect

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 05:17