We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay Bridge - general vacation questions

Rock Falls, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bay Bridge - general vacation questions

We will be visiting D.C. then heading to Salisbury, MD for the hotel then to Ocean City. I am assuming I have to cross the Bay Bridge to get to Salisbury from DC but wanted to make sure, also anyway around it if I have to cross it. Do NOT like bridges. Also any pointers on what to avoid or what we should do in the three cities. We are traveling with a 6 yr. old, 16yr. old and three adults. I should mention this is the first time any of us have been to any of these areas and I am nervous and excited. Thanks..

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay Bridge - general vacation questions

A. There is no way around the bridge. But if you're traveling on Saturday get there before 10 a.m. or you're likely to be sitting in traffic for an hour or more.

B. Salisbury.....the Country Store and the free Zoo are about the only things I know of.

C. Ocean City has everything under the sun. The boardwalk, rides, water sports, the beach, kites, festivals, fabulous food. Everything.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
614 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay Bridge - general vacation questions

I'm a little confused. Are you going from Washington DC to Salisbury and staying in a hotel ?

Do you know that Salisbury is less then 30 miles from Ocean City ?

There is a way to drive around . In short Rt 95 to Delaware and down Rt 113 and through the Delaware resorts. Also, this route will take you no where near Salisbury.

Little more info please.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bay Bridge - general vacation questions

With three adults surely ONE of you can make it over the bridge. Get in the back seat put on an Ipod, close your eyes and listen to one song and you will be over the bridge. I am not discounting your fear. I don't like driving over bridges myself but as a passenger I don't have a problem.

Edited: 19 July 2011, 19:00
Rock Falls, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bay Bridge - general vacation questions

We are first visiting and staying near DC then we are going Salisbury so we can be closer to Ocean City - selected Salisbury just for the cheap hotel and then driving to Ocean City to spend the day. We aren't sure if spending one or two days in Ocean City - I have been reading and have found there are tons of things to do there so we might stay 2 days. Sorry for the confusion.

Western Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bay Bridge - general vacation questions

There is really nothing in Salisbury. Just plan your trip so you get there around the time you want to go to bed. Even 2 days is too little time for OC. You need to figure out what you want to do/see and plan accordingly. If you are flexible, I'd recommend staying at least 5 days.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bay Bridge - general vacation questions

There are certain areas in Salisbury that you DON'T want to be in. Just saying.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bay Bridge - general vacation questions

2.5 hours with bridge, 4 hours without a bridge going thru DE. (not taking into account traffic) Mapquest can help you. If you can find a closer hotel do so. Maybe W Ocean City.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bay Bridge - general vacation questions

Couldn't agree more with the other posts. A round trip from Salisbury to OC is 60 miles which is a lot of driving time. If you could stay in West Ocean City it would be more than worth the extra cost in the additional time it would give you in Ocean City. There is so much to do in OC that once you see it you will want to do as much as possible. Enjoy your trip.

Northern NJ
Level Contributor
122 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bay Bridge - general vacation questions

I have been traveling to OC for ages...now I have 2 little girls that I bring to some of the same places that I went as a kid...am i that old?...anyway for families w/ kids i recommend North OC....plenty of putt putt and arcade places...i like the beach up there better too...we always venture up to Fenwick Island too...tax free Delaware is a plus! enjoy

Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bay Bridge - general vacation questions

Don't sweat the bridge! I had great concern over the bridge and it was for naught! We just returned last week and the bridge was not nearly as bad as I thought, FYI!

Get answers to your questions about Ocean City
Recent Conversations