We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlantis Condo - Unit 1001

Annapolis, Maryland
3 posts
Save Topic
Atlantis Condo - Unit 1001

Rented this unit a few weeks ago. While it had a nice layout and a beautiful view of the Bay from the master bedroom, it also had:

1. burned out light bulbs in the entrance hall and kitchen

2. no cold water in the kitchen sink

3. an enclosed balcony (sliding windows at eye level) - which we knew about, but pictures of the unit showed "tall" chairs so you could at least sit on the balcony and see out the windows. Only "regular" chairs were provided. If you sat on them you had a lovely view of the wall. If we wanted to view the ocean from the unit we had to stand!

4. And now for the reason I will never rent this unit again: the drier ran, but did not dry our clothing. One of the reasons we chose a condo over a hotel is the availability of a washer/drier to wash clothes and towels. I always like to wash our clothes the night before we leave so we arrive home with clean clothes. I also like to wash things and dirty beach towels during the week. I immediately called Coldwell Banker. The man initially said he would send someone over -then there was a pause and he said "Oh, we've gotten this complaint before. We have notified the owners of the unit but THEY REFUSE TO FIX IT!!! WTH! We pay good money for this unit EXPECTING to receive what was advertised. Owners and Coldwell Banker should not advertise a working washer/drier. What arrogance on the owners part. To top it off, the CB rep told me to dry my clothes in small amounts and let the drier just run. Yep that's exactly what I want to do on my vacation: stand in front of a broken drier shuffling small amounts of clothing in and out of it all day!

DO NOt RENT UNIT1001 IN THE ATLANTIS!!!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlantis Condo - Unit 1001

Sounds like Coldwell Banker passing the buck. Your quarrel is certainly with them, as your contract was with them. Although CB is recommended by the Atlantis ( They receive a commission from them) I would find a more reputable broker. The Atlantis has many beautiful apartments, and a great location.

Edited: 02 August 2011, 13:08
Annapolis, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlantis Condo - Unit 1001

Sorry - I disagree. CB does not own the unit. It is not their responsibility to maintain it. The owners have been notified that the drier in THEIR unit is not in working condition. They refuse to fix it, yet still allowed it to be ADVERTISED as working. That is dishonest. Yes CB knows about it, but I believe the owners are allowing CB to take the heat for this. To blame CB completely for this is disengenous. Why are you letting the owners off the hook? It's their dryer. How would you feel is this happened to you?

What may seem like a minor inconvenience to you became a major one for us. Midweek we were surrounded by the dirty laundry belonging to 6 adults. The bottom line is I did not get what was advertised. I spent my hard-earned money on a unit and did not get what was promised. I should not have to figure out who to "quarrel" with.

I'm sure the Atlantis does indeed have many nice units. I, however, am only concerned aobut the one I paid for. As I stated, I liked the layout and view provided by the unit. I also loved the pool - one of the best in OC. Those things do not mitigate the facts that a working drier was falsey advertised, and the owners are in full knowledge of the problem. Shame on them - and CB.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlantis Condo - Unit 1001

I believe Oso was only saying that you're only option is to go after CB. That is their job. You have no contract with the owner. CB however does have a contract with the owner and can push them into fixing the dryer or stop renting out their unit. Nobody is giving the owners a pass.

Sorry if I am putting words in your mouth Osobear.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlantis Condo - Unit 1001

To perhaps qualify a bit, the telling part of the original post was Coldwell Banker being quoted as "we've gotten this complaint before". This, to me, tells me about CB's concern for the people they broker apartments to. I did not mean to dismiss the apartment owner's responsibility also, which is certainly to keep the place in good repair. And I certainly agree that Brooks has every right to be unhappy. I was just suggesting how he might address his unhappiness, as the owner is probably not available to him. I repeat, his deal was with CB, who seemed to have shown him indifference.

Edited: 02 August 2011, 18:22
Annapolis, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlantis Condo - Unit 1001

Not that you could tell, but I'm a "her" not a "him". Brooks is a family name.

Anyway, my vent was not so much directed at you as it was to the situation. I remain firm in my belief that this starts with the owners. The CB rep told me they have indeed notified the owner but they cannot make the owner repair the drier. Does that make CB complicit? Absolutely. Will I use them again? Most likely not - I don't trust them. But I know one thing for sure: I will never rent Unit 1001 in the Atlantis again. I've been going to OC for over 35 years - starting when I was a young child with my parents. When my husband and I find a unit we like we tend to stay with it. I also think people should be warned about units with thoughtless owners.

I will modify my original statement.

If you do not mind: 1. not being able to see in the entrance hallway when it's dark.

2. staring at walls when you sit on the balcony.

3. having only hot, hot water coming out of the kitchen sink

and

4. not being able to dry your clothing (and others) for the entire week of your stay even though this was an advertised service.

then by all means rent unit 1001 at the Atlantis.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
113 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlantis Condo - Unit 1001

Sorry for your trouble. I would say CB is to blame. The deal was made with them, they represent the owner and CB is representing the condo to the end user. Which i feel was false advertising. Terrible to be at the ocean in an ocean front room and deal with a terrible balcony. This is why i never stay at condo's,its pot luck ,you just never know. and then when something goes south no one wants to help and its not like they can move you to another room like a hotel can.

ON the dryer deal that is just wrong, I assume people rent condo's because they want the comforts of home such as all appliances in working order and if they dont work than I feel a substantial adjustment in the renters bill is in order.

Owners use real estate companies so they dont have to deal with the public, they want the real estate companies to market the property and act as the middleman between the owner and renter, in doing so the real estate company gets a hefty commission to deal with these type of issues. CB is the one that advertised the product and if things are not right in the unit then CB has to state that.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
113 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlantis Condo - Unit 1001

And yes the owners are scumbags too, they are charging good money for a unit ,it needs to be in tip top shape.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlantis Condo - Unit 1001

I wouldn't let one bad condo owner ruin your future condo rentals to come.

This year I rented a condo for a week from Coldwell Banker and had a great experience. I guess the best thing next time is ask specific question about a unit your interested in and see if there are any previous complaints on that unit.

I'm willing to guess there are more bad hotel rooms in OC than condo units, its just you found one that had issues. Sorry you had problems during your stay, lets hope next time it will be better.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atlantis Condo - Unit 1001

Brooks212, look at the top right of this page, there's a tab for "Write a Review".

Looks like #1, CB dropped the ball in representing the actual condition of the condo and #2, the owner dropped the ball by not maintaining the condo.

Have to add a #3, CB has a representative that inspects the rental properties after the rentor has vacated, they are suppose to check-off any issues/problems and correct them before the next tenant.

Post #6 states it quite well, CB represents the owner.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,054 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atlantis Condo - Unit 1001

I've had that same dryer issue at one of the condos I rent from regularly from Holiday. And every time I have that problem, I just call Holiday and within an hour there is someone there fixing it. It has always been lint collection in the dryer hose (the long fat silver hose that goes outside). They come and replace it. Same with when the garbage disposal didn't work. They came and fixed it. Try renting from someone else. I'd review both Coldwell Banker (make sure you review the right office) and review the unit. Bad reviews usually get action.

Get answers to your questions about Ocean City