We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay Bridge traffic on Sunday of Labor Day

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Bay Bridge traffic on Sunday of Labor Day

Will the Sunday on Labor Day weekend present any problems with respect to Bay Bridge traffic? I'm thinking of doing a day trip to somewhere on the Eastern Shore so I will be crossing the bridge in the morning and evening.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay Bridge traffic on Sunday of Labor Day

Going into OC on Sunday won't be a problem. But a lot of people end their week that day and head home so you might have more problem if you're leaving OC during the day. If you're leaving in the evening you won't have a problem either.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay Bridge traffic on Sunday of Labor Day

"a lot of people end their week that day and head home"--do you mean weekly rentals? If so, has there been a major shift from the traditional Saturday-Saturday rentals? Or since Labor Day is the traditional end of the summer season, does that last rental week sometimes extend through Sunday or Monday? Having never been an OC renter or landlord, I honestly don't know.

The bridge itself hasn't been a guaranteed westbound bottleneck since they removed the toll years ago. The big jams I've been stuck in repeatedly at peak times homebound are through the signals in Easton and where 50 changes direction from north to west (Wye Mills). So even during peak times, you may not have a problem since "somewhere on the Eastern Shore" doesn't necessarily mean being on 50 for an extended distance on the Eastern Shore.

I don't think you'll have a problem coming back Sunday of Labor Day weekend under any circumstances.

virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bay Bridge traffic on Sunday of Labor Day

I went on Memorial Day weekend. I came back the same time everyone else did. It was a nightmare! It took us over an hour more to get home! If your going IN when they are coming OUT you should be in great shape!!

Edited: 13 August 2011, 11:15
Eastern PA
Level Contributor
268 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bay Bridge traffic on Sunday of Labor Day

We will be arriving in OC on Friday and driving back to PA on Monday. What would be the best time to leave on Monday? I am thinking maybe 2 or 3 since most would chose to leave on check out at 10 or stay the day and leave after dinner.

Any advice appreciated!

Western Maryland
Level Contributor
247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bay Bridge traffic on Sunday of Labor Day

To be honest, there will be no good time to leave on Monday unless you can wait until like 10:00 PM. Weather will play a big part but everyone will be heading out on Monday.

Eastern PA
Level Contributor
268 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bay Bridge traffic on Sunday of Labor Day

Should have mentioned it is Labor Day weekend and we leave on Monday. Will go out on Route 54 as stay on the northern end on 117th so what is best time to travel on Labor Day.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bay Bridge traffic on Sunday of Labor Day

Early morning or late at night.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bay Bridge traffic on Sunday of Labor Day

Depends on the weather. If it is nice, everybody will be trying to get another day on the beach so you should leave early morning. If it is rainy everybody will be checking out early so wait until late in the day.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bay Bridge traffic on Sunday of Labor Day

I had no trouble crossing back over the bay bridge on Labor Day Sunday. so thanks.

I actually ended up doing the Cape May Ferry that day, but I was asking here since I knew people in this forum would be the best place to ask about Bay Bridge traffic.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bay Bridge traffic on Sunday of Labor Day

I don't often have to do the Bay Bridge route, but I did this year on the morning after 4th of July weekend and it was VERY trafficky (not so much the bridge itself but the roads leading up to it).