We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enforcement of evac question.

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
422 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Enforcement of evac question.

I am not coming down because of the storm, even tho I have always loved to watch nature. The risk isn't worth it. But I wonder...I know it is mandatory evac for all, including owners who aren't full time residents. How do they enforce that? How do they know if residents have left? Is there a fine or other penalty? Just curious,

Ocean City
Level Contributor
335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Enforcement of evac question.

This is mandatory; everybody out by 5pm tomorrow. There are always fools who stay, then expect the rescue workers to risk their lives to come help them when the "fun" becomes "dangerous". Live electric wires + flood water = dead. I don't think they go house to house doing a search, so some will probably ride it out. People need to get out and stay out of the way for a day or two, so EMS people can deal with emergencies. It's irritating to see fools who want to stay; immature, selfish decision. Don't know about penalties; I am sure there are some, but priorty concern is safety.

Maryland
Level Contributor
422 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enforcement of evac question.

I agree, it is stupid to risk life and limb....I was just curious.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Enforcement of evac question.

If you are caught on the Island you can be arrested. They can not physically force you to leave but they don't have to come after you and they won't. Alledgedly the emergency personel will evacuate if it gets too bad.

Western Maryland
Level Contributor
247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enforcement of evac question.

Well, I have a big problem with this. If I were an owner and I wanted to go down tomorrow and shore my place up, I'd be pretty pissed if I was not granted access. In fact, I would sue the town for damages that could/would have been prevented had I been granted access. I mean come on, the storm is not hitting until Sunday.

New York
Level Contributor
628 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enforcement of evac question.

Yeah that's it you face one of the worst storms in history and you plan to sue.

I bet the town would be scared to death.

Clearing people out takes time and cooperation is that a concept you find difficult to follow.

So you made your threats IF you owed, IF they did not let you in, IF your property was damaged. Feel better???????

Western Maryland
Level Contributor
247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enforcement of evac question.

bingo,

Your posts never make any sense. I would suggest you read your post before you hit the submit button. Wow

Edited: 26 August 2011, 00:33
new jersey
Level Contributor
969 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enforcement of evac question.

On way out now - had a great week, great weather, little sad, makes me rethink trip insurance for next year, if this happened mud week would suck even worse

Ps line ar fischers on de line super long

new jersey
Level Contributor
969 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Enforcement of evac question.

On way out now - had a great week, great weather, little sad, makes me rethink trip insurance for next year, if this happened mid week would suck even worse

Ps line ar fischers on de line super long

PA & lower DE
Level Contributor
232 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Enforcement of evac question.

TB4A, if I was an owner, I would already be down there preparing. The evac is at 5 pm today. If your not already down there protecting your investment by 5 pm then it is what it is. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Enforcement of evac question.

shoffy you can't get access to the Island after midnight last night. Those on the Island must be off by 5pm today. I agree with T84A. We don't rent so we always bring in our deck furniture but there are thousands of absentee condo absentee owners that leave their furniture out all summer. And some people have boats docked in OC that are scrambling to get someone to secure them.

I don't want anyone hurt despite what some may think so I understand the evacuation. I would suggest next time they allow people to come down and secure their properties by showing a sewer bill or some proof that they own.

It's not like they didn't have enough time. I doubt that both directions of 50, 90 and coastal highway need to be out only to get everyone out.