We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Island

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicao
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Island

We have narrowed our vacation search down to Virginia Beach or Ocean City. Thinking OC is probably better due to the board walk, but Virginia Beach is near other activities i.e. Williamsburg and Bush Gardens. As far as locations in Ocean City goes, I have come across Sunset Island. Seems like a great place to rent but how do you get to the Ocean. The unit I was looking at says it is two blocks from the Ocean, but it looks like you have to cross a highway. How do you cross it?

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Island

You will have to walk down to 67th street and cross Coastal Highway to reach the beach. Not a long walk by any means but if you're carrying a lot of beach gear, it could be a chore.

If you have a lot of beach gear, I'd recommend driving your beach gear across Coastal Highway, dropping it off, and then driving back to your condo and walking across with your family.

Be careful when crossing Coastal Highway...cross only at pedestrian crossings and definitely use the hand signals. Coastal Highway is no joke.

Chicao
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Island

Thanks. So the Coastal Highway is not the type of Highway I was thinking of. The Coastal highway has traffic lights. The only beach gear we would have would be a few chairs for the adults so that wouldn't be much of an issue.

How far of a drive is it to the Boardwalk and how is parking over there?

Phoenix
Level Contributor
418 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Island

We've heard both good and bad about Sunset Island.

Here are posts from people who stayed there this summer:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g41298-i101-k48032…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g41298-i101-k46514…

Here are some from 2010:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g41298-i101-k37625…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g41298-i101-k38915…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g41298-i101-k38374…

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Island

The boardwalk is located at the southern end of OC. It runs from 1st Street (actually a few streets below that) to 28th Street. I recommend taking the OC bus from 67th Street to the boardwalk as parking can be tough to find during summer months. The bus is $1 each way and $3 to ride all day. It runs up and down Coastal Highway.

Drive time depends on traffic and how many lights you hit. It would be a 5-10 min drive without traffic, but with traffic, it can take 30 mins or more.

Chicao
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Island

Thank you for your help. Sunset Island does seem to have many rules, most of which do not effect us. I think our children might get into some trouble in the pool since they enjoy doing most of the things that are not allowed and enjoyed by most teens, pushing each other in the water, jumping off of shoulders etc. But it does sound nice and seems like a good location. I think I will let the kids do some research and see what they think.

Thank you for all of the advice.

Ocean City
Level Contributor
335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Island

Ocean City has lots of attractions and lots of nice places to stay; you might want to look around at other places closer to the ocean/beach before making a final decision.

Edited: 29 December 2011, 16:48
pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Island

Have you checked these realtor sites?

Holiday Real Estate www.holidayoc.com

Coldwell Banker www.cbvacations.com

Long and Foster www.lfvacations.com

Shoreline www.shorepro.com

Vacation Rentals by Owners www.vrbo.com

I've booked from the first four with no issues, and have many, many friends who use the last site as well.

Chicao
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Island

Great Information. Thank you all

9. Re: Sunset Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2013, 10:18