We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach lobster/crab/clambake?

7 posts
Save Topic
Beach lobster/crab/clambake?

We will be in OC in the middle of August. My mother would like to celebrate her birthday on the beach with a lobster/crab/clambake. There will be 6 adults and 2 children. Does anyone know if this is possible or have any suggestions for a caterer that could make this happen? Thanks

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach lobster/crab/clambake?

Here is a recent response to a similar question.

ococean.com/explore-oc/…clambake-on-the-beach

doesn't seem easy.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach lobster/crab/clambake?

Probably not going to be able to do a fire, but I have grilled on bayside beaches before... you should be able to do that.

IMO, beach fires should be permitted -- even if you have to buy a permit for one from the state -- but this is MD....not much is allowed here anymore.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach lobster/crab/clambake?

It's pretty much impossible.

The Ocean City Insiders answered this question a while ago. Here's a link to their answers:

ococean.com/explore-oc/…clambake-on-the-beach

Best advice would be to possibly bring a pop up canopy and set it up well back of the lifeguards. Head to Waterman's or Rippons and get some steamed crabs and shrimp and all the fixings and put blankets or plastic tablecloths down on the sand and dig in.

I think going to Watermans for dinner would work just as well. They have an amazing all you can eat menu that they literally dump onto your table that is so much fun. It consists of whole crabs, shrimp, fried chicken (kids will like that) corn on the cob, hush puppies, fries, and biscuits. Call ahead for a reservation and a BIG table. It really is fun and I think your mom would enjoy it......even without the sand.

Wish her a happy birthday for me.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 17:39
Delaware
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach lobster/crab/clambake?

I am not sure where these answers are coming from but yes you can get a permit for a fire on the beach at night. Our condo assoc. does it once or twice a year. There is a permit fee and other stipulations that are included. I have attached a link for the Fire Marshalls Office of how to go about doing this.

oceancitymd.gov/Fire_Department/FireMarshal/…

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach lobster/crab/clambake?

Well I stand corrected. Good to know, Dude.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach lobster/crab/clambake?

Seriously Dude, did you read that? Who in god's great earth is going to go through all that hassle for a bon fire for just a few hours? Schedule a appointment 2-3 weeks out, meet the fire marshal and dig a pit in the sand.

lol, funny though....

Just go to a outside restaurant like a Higgins and do a AYCE crabs, shrimp, corn on com and chicken. And you can put your feet in the sand.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach lobster/crab/clambake?

I agree tfunky. Even Waterman's has an outside area now.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach lobster/crab/clambake?

You dig a pit about a foot deep (it is sand). You carry firewood down to the beach. You light the firewood. It's not real complicated and it is a pretty cool experience.

It's not for everyone but it is hardly "impossible" or "nearly impossible". When I said that I was not sure where the answers are coming from, I was referring to the so called "insiders" that was attached. I didn't mean to insult anyone on this site. The kids love it and as far as the costs goes, it's a helluva lot cheaper then spending the evening on the boardwalk with a bunch of kids.

And hey.....if Waterman's is your bag.....go for it....but that is not the experience that the OP was asking about.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach lobster/crab/clambake?

I understand Dude, you were just pointing out it is possible to have a fire on the beach. I was just having fun with your attachment.

Although, its more than digging a hole and setting a match.

Edited: 12 April 2012, 15:42
Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach lobster/crab/clambake?

It would appear an individual who lives in OC might make some money by providing beach fires to visitors. The permit process looks easy unless of course you live a couple hours away.