We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shells

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sayre, PA
Level Contributor
83 posts
318 reviews
Save Topic
Shells

We're travelling to Ocean City with grandkids in August and wondered where's the best beach area to make sandcastles and pick up shells. would appreciate any tips.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shells

Our beach is 10 miles - from the Inlet (south) going to Delaware (north). The best time is at low tide, especially after a Nor'easter storm (which we typically have in the spring and late fall -- there's one on the way for tomorrow). There's no particular area better than another. Assateaque, a few miles south of Ocean City, usually has the best 'finds'. Regarding - building sandcastles - we have 10 miles of sand, which is wider at the south end and tapers smaller going north. The areas that have had beach replenishment tend to be coarser.

Is this your 1st visit? Which area are you planning on staying?

Edited: 21 April 2012, 11:03
Sayre, PA
Level Contributor
83 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shells

Hi, thank you for your reply! We are staying at the Francis Key Resort with grandkids, 6 and 11, beginning July 29. They have not been to the beach before and so excited. We thought the resort would keep them busy in bad weather as well. The hotel provides a beach shuttle and not sure where to. Any suggestions for reasonably priced family restaurants and activities would be appreciated.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shells

The FSK has a great little diner on site that is 50's style and serves great burgers and fries and shakes.

You're close to so many good restaurants and a lot of fast food places on that side of the bridge. Just across the street is the OC Outlet Mall and you'll find a Taco Bell, KFC, Wendy's, Applebees, Outback, Pizza, Sushi, and they're building a Chipotle and another restuarant, plus up the road is Carrabbas, Waterman's, Dumsers and Pizza Tugos. There are more.

As far as activities on that side of town, there is Baja Amusements for go karts, Grand Prix Amusements for go karts and other things, OC Paintball, you can visit Frontier Town or drive to Assateague to see the wild ponies too.

If you venture across the bridge to Ocean City, the kids might enjoy the Duckaneer pirate ship ( www.theduckaneer.com ) Jolly Roger Amusement Park on 32nd St or at the Pier, Trimper's rides at the boardwalk, plus there are arcades and carny type games on the boards, a haunted house, Ripley's Believe it or not Museum. Go to Planet Maze and play laser tag with them. I'm 60 and did it last year and had a blast! There are tons of mini golf courses around town, and two indoor ones on 68th and 136th St.s.

Buy a kite and fly it. Go parasailing, take a ride on the Sea Rocket or OC Rocket . Rent jet skis or a boat. Try crabbing behind the Convention Center or at Northside Park.

And the Dew Tour is coming back August 16-19. Can't beat that!

Have you sent for the visitor's guide yet? www.ococean.com/visitor-guide

Hope that helps

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shells

Momoo, thanks (again) for providing soo much info for the OP's (as you know, I've lived here my entire life, so kind of don't have to decide what to do --- its just there.....)

2seniorcitizens, as far as I know the FSK shuttle goes to the OC bus Depot downtown, you'll only have to cross Baltimore Ave (one way going north) to get to the boardwalk/beach. Jim & Annemarie run a great family business, you all will have a wonderful time - regardless of the weather.

Sayre, PA
Level Contributor
83 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shells

I appreciate all the information and look forward to our trip. We are just returning from a trip to Myrtle Beach and if Ocean City is anything similar, it'll be a great time.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shells

Ocean City is NOTHING like Myrtle Beach. But if you're staying at the FSK expecting to walk outside and see the ocean, it won't happen. You're staying across the bay outside of Ocean City. So if you want to go to the beach or boardwalk, you will either have to drive or take the shuttle along with all your beach stuff. There are, however, blue boxes set up all along the beach that you can rent chairs and umbrellas from by the day or week plus they'll put them up and take them down for you.

If you change your mind and decide that you want to stay in Ocean City, may I suggest the Carousel Hotel? They have kids programs, an indoor ice skating rink, pools, and all the ammenitites. Great place to stay.

Another very kid friendly place is the Holiday Inn Suites on 17th St. It's right on the boardwalk, but away from the rides and games, so it's quiet at night, yet you can hop on the boardwalk tram if you want to visit the southern end for rides and games.

Just a couple of options.

Virginia
Level Contributor
189 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shells

I think the FSK shuttle stop is up a couple blocks from the city bus depot. I want to say Dorchester. I know I didn't get it at the city stop. And as I recall, there was room on the shuttle bus for bringing chairs and the like with you to the beach.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 05:27
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shells

Your grandkids are at a great age for their first beach resort vacation.

As for shelling, other than trying to find a less crowded beach, it's just hit or miss. Don't get your hopes up, but the kids won't be fussy, they'll find some.

Yes, OCMD is very different than MB. It's a long, narrow barrier island. You can walk from ocean to bay in a few blocks. World class boardwalk and much to see/do/eat condensed into the southernmost blocks of the island.

(MB is more spread out and not really a "walking" destination).

Of course you'll need your car to see more of the island, take the kids to a water park and other attractions, dining on the bay, etc., but just taking the beach shuttle (which will save gas and parking issues) you will still have plenty within a several block radius.

There are advantages to staying right on the beach or boardwalk, but you're right that FSK will be a great choice if the weather doesn't cooperate. Your grankids will have a ball there rain or shine.

Virginia
Level Contributor
189 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shells

The best shell hunting beach I've seen was the 4-wheel drive part of Assateague, if you have such a vehicle available.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shells

Yes, shells, at least large shells, are very rare in OC. Mostly just small ones and bits and pieces. I have found a sand dollar or two and a couple of starfish, but only one nice conch in the 20 years I've been going there.