We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach umbrella rental prices

Delaware
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Beach umbrella rental prices

I'm interested in finding out how much people are paying to rent a beach umbrella and chairs this year? I saw on an older post that $14/day or $50/week seemed to be the going rate for an umbrella. I'm curious if that is still accurate? How much tip is appropriate for having it setup?

I'm trying to decide if I should invest in a decent umbrella before going or if I am just going to rent one while there. I like the idea of not having to set it up and lug it back and forth every day.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach umbrella rental prices

The rates are nearly the same this year. Maybe a dollar or two higher at some spots.

But we bought a beach umbrella at Sam's Club about 10 years ago for $49 and it's still good, still works fine. We also got one of those sand anchors that screw into the sand............best thing we could have ever bought. Makes putting the umbrella up so much easier and we don't ever worry about the wind taking it.

I wouldn't spend a ton of $$ for an umbrella, but make sure you get one big enough and if you find one with a silver lining, even better. Mine doesn't have one (old one did) and it is definitely sufficient. The thing just slides into the carry bag, I put it over my shoulder, and off I go.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach umbrella rental prices

I agree.if you are local bring your own.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,099 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach umbrella rental prices

Good advice. The sand anchors are a great idea, but they're starting to sell cheap ones on the boardwalk, they're not long enough, get a good one. Also, if its breezy/windy, tilt the umbrella into the wind.

Today, there were many umbrellas cascading down the beach (windy today), they were all the cheap $10 or $20 dollar ones and not properly placed (and no proper sand anchor). Thankfully, no one was hurt.

Regarding price, the rentals are now mostly $18-20 for the day, with weekly discounts ($50 for the week was the last I heard). If you will be here for several days/week, the stand attendant will have it set up where you want and when you want. Weather permitting, I'll be there again tomorrow, so I'll get a better weekly quote.

Edited: 29 May 2012, 22:44
Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach umbrella rental prices

I think your best bet is to buy your own at one of the many beach stores in OC.

There reasonably priced and saves you money in the long run and they are not hard to anchor into the ground yourself. I have one and going to buy another one in July.

Delaware
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach umbrella rental prices

Thank you for the replies so far. I am considering buying my own but I would like some numbers so I can determine if it really is worth it. We only go to the beach every couple of years so I don't really want to invest in anything too expensive but I also don't want to buy something so cheap that I have to fight it the entire time we are there to make sure it doesn't blow away or tear to shreds.

ocpony, Thank you for the updated daily cost, if you do get the weekly cost I would really appreciate having that information.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach umbrella rental prices

Elbmag, umbrellas cost can range from $14.99 to $49.99 depending on the style and size at the 100 Sunsation stores in OC.

I remember seeing decent ones for $19.99 last year that I was going to buy.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach umbrella rental prices

And dont' forget Roses! You can buy anything at Roses!!

Ocean City
Level Contributor
339 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach umbrella rental prices

I'll confess that even though I have umbrellas in the condo, if I get to come down for a week in the warm weather sometimes I'll pay to rent a big umbrella for the week. It's a luxury to not have to haul the umbrella up and down and set it up, and theirs are heavier and larger. Pumps a little money into the local economy and makes my stay easier. Wouldn't stress about buying one versus renting if you're not going to use one that often; it's not a lot of money and you're saving some of your time (that can't be replaced). Makes me feel like I'm on vacation! I don't know what a standard tip is; I usually give the kid $10 or $15 for the week (if its $50, $5 is 10%, so that's 20% or a little better).

Edited: 30 May 2012, 18:48
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,099 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach umbrella rental prices

Elbmag, I didn't get to the beach today - rained all day. Tomorrows forecast is sun, so I'll find out the cost for the week and the usual tip.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,099 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach umbrella rental prices

85nSunny prices (south of 40th St., north to DE line is a few $'s cheaper).

Umbrella: 5 day 6 day 7 day

$ 52 $60 $67

Chair 29 33 36

Lounge Chair 36 41 46

Sorry, lines are lined up while I've typed, but when submitted they're not.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 16:30
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City